The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Dogs and skunks (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/dogs-skunks-214146/)

jaydee 06-16-2013 11:22 AM

Dogs and skunks

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Forum folk.
My name is Mungo (I'm the ruggedly handsome dude lying flat out) and my BFF is Millie

We belong to Jaydee
Its our job to keep the place safe and secure at all times so yesterday when we were doing our routine boundary check in the woods it was vital we took a look at the cute little black and white critter that was taking a snooze in the brush. It seemed harmless enough but Millie thought it might want to play a game of chase so we tried to liven it up a bit. Personally we thought its reaction a bit rude and uncalled for so went back to the barn where all we got was
Woooooooooooohhhhhhhh what is that stench and someone said "They've been Skunked'
Well we've been bathed in shampoo, bathed with hydrogen peroxide and bicarbonate of soda, bathed with tomato juice and sprayed with doggie deodorant but the truth is we still stink to high heaven
Ideas anyone?

Missy May 06-16-2013 12:06 PM

haha. No. I always use tomato juice on our dogs, but it never works 100% - I am not sure anything does. Then...I use freebreeze just to mask it. :)

I love the way the other dog is wincing on the "smelly" side. Poor stinky pups.

My mare got skunked when she was a filly...she was a curious little girl. It was all on one side. I bathed her well and then used miracle groom b/c is smells so nice. It did greatly reduce the smell, but really...the rest of it went away w time.

Lockwood 06-16-2013 12:59 PM

Welcome to the land of American skunks.
Tell your owner to buy a good nose clip and use it. :D

Darrin 06-16-2013 01:25 PM

Dog at the stable just got skunked last week. They ran the dog down to the dog groomer who used something that worked quite well. Don't know what it was but you have to bury your nose in her fur to get any hint at all of skunk.

I've used the natural home remedies before and none seem to work very well. Your dog still stinks but they no longer make your eyes water.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 06-16-2013 03:06 PM

Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda and Dawn Dish soap, mixed according to directions will help a LOT. When all 3 of my JRTs got skunked....Dear God, I don't wish that on anyone! But that shampoo helped.

http://www.rutherfordcounty.org/pets...nk%20Odors.pdf

Here's my Skunk Story for your fun and entertainment!
OH I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!

Heres my adventure from 2009:

Darling Husband heard a thump and said, "Did the dogs get left out?"

I said, "No, I thought they were in bed with you." So off he stumbles to check.....In the meanwhile I'm thinking, "It's 15 friggin degrees outside...oh man.....so I opened the slider to the screen room and WHOOSH 2 of the JRT's go tearing out the door and through their dog door out into the back yard.

About that time Husband comes back and says, "They WERE all inside." So I opened the slider to call the dogs back inside and WHAM, I got hit in the nostrils by the eau de skunk.........Dear Gawd A'mighty, does that spray HAVE to be that potent? Holy CRAP!!!!

I heard the dogs barking and fussing so grabbed a broom to beat the skunk with, cos ain't no way I'm grabbin the thing. Run out into the yard and start trying to corral the dogs. One ran back to the house and husband tossed her and the male dog into the garage while I tried to collect the 3rd one. Got her in the house and man! She REEKED! That skunk was dead accurate with his aim. Direct hit to the face and neck, could see the yellow stains of it in her fur. WHEW!

Got her in the sink and washed her down with baking soda and Dawn dish soap, didn't have peroxide but it worked ok. Dog doesn't smell half as bad as the rest of the house. Poor dog is drooling and barfing that stuff is sooo freakin nasty! So I washed her down good twice and rinsed her eyes out real good, he got her there too and started DH drying her off. Went and got the 2nd dog from the garage.......Sweet JAYSUS he got her even worse than the first dog. Repeated the bathing steps and rinsing the eyes.

I'm just waiting for Petco to open so I can go get the deodorizing stuff to scatter in the back yard........ Some nights just weren't meant for sleepin'........UGH!!!!!!!

Later that day:
Well, the high point of my day has been going to Petco and walking in the door to have 3 different clerks run, yes I mean RUN, up to me to ask if I need help finding the skunk deodorizers. I had JUST taken a shower and put on clean clothing........Yeah, that makes me feel real good......Flippin' po'e cats!

And then later in 2011 while commiserating with another friend who was having skunk problems:

What I didn't follow up with was the fact that it was just the START of my wild critter problems. I forget how many possums, coons and skunks we ended up trapping that year, but it was a GROUP! They had dug underneath the steps of the back porch and tunneled under the Master Bedroom, Bath and Closet. So everytime we thought we'd got rid of them, nooooo, another one took their place. We finally dug up around the entire foundation of the house and put down hardware cloth and reburied it. Then we found someone had dug throught the siding of the house and had to tear out the siding and insulation and rewire.....Darned things were living under my bathtub too.

They stank up my entire closet, the bedroom, of course the entire house and to add insult to injury, my SHN jacket was RANK and it was in my TRUCK, never even got near a skunk.

Haven't had any trouble for a while now, but I've gotten plum deadly with my pistol if it's any of those groups of critters. Caught a possum in the cat food (I buy 80 lbs of cat food/week and keep it in a small garbage can) and I shot a hole smooth through the bottom of that can. Flippin' beasts! Then I found a bunch of possum babies, is there anything uglier than a baby possum? BRRRRRR!

Oh yeah, I now have a "De-skunking Shelf" in the pantry. There's a bottle of Dawn, 3 bottles of Peroxide and 3 boxes of baking soda. I don't care what we run out of, nobody is allowed to even THINK of using those ingredients.

Oh YEAH, those flippin' skunks are a gift that just KEEPS ON GIVING!

COWCHICK77 06-16-2013 04:59 PM

Oh no!
In Dreamcathers link they mentioned a couple of store bought brands, Skunk-Off and the Natures Miracle brand. I have a friend that swears by Skunk-off. I think you can get it at TSC if I remember right. The last time Twist got sprayed I bathed her in "Aloe Advantage". It is a concentrate shampoo I bought for Zorro when he was having skin problems last summer. It's got Aloe, Keratin, and oat protein. A gallon jug cost $14. It worked good.

Darrin 06-16-2013 05:32 PM

Didn't think of Natures Miracle brand, we've used that for other things in the past and it works well.

Horse Poor 06-16-2013 06:55 PM

Here's the recipe I've used for years… and it works.

Bathe dog first.

In a bucket, mix 2 Cups Hydrogen Peroxide and 1/2 Cup baking soda. Mix 2 cups white vinegar and 1 cup warm water. Mix both together and be careful as this will foam up - (be sure to use warm water because this will turn COLD). Saturate dog. Leave on a full 5 minutes and do not allow this to get into dogs eyes. After 5 minutes, rinse thoroughly. Recipe can be doubled for large dogs.

There's just something about a skunk and a porcupine that makes smart dogs stupid…no matter how many times they tangle with these critters and come out on the short end of the stick, they have to do it again…and again…and again…

Fort fireman 06-16-2013 07:54 PM

I've heard that the vineger bath can help quite a bit. We've not had a problem with our dogs and skunks, yet.

My experience with a skunk was all me. I was turkey hunting. i found a nice comfy tree to sit against. Got my call ready , got my face camo net on, and got really comfy and settled in for some hunting. This was my second setup of the morning so around 9 a.m. I make my first set of calls and just glance over to my left. There he was ! sitting in a notch of a tree about 3 ft away looking dead in my eyes.:shock: He just sat there and looked at me for about 45 mins. The whole time I didn't move and barely breathed. The only thing I could think was , Well I'm sleeping on the porch tonight back at camp. Finally I guess I was to boring for him and he just walked away, with that tail held high. Thats the closest I have ever coming to being sprayed.

nikelodeon79 06-16-2013 08:02 PM

Baking soda, peroxide and dish soap. Soak and let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse. Repeat repeat repeat.

Use feminine douche for the face.

Enjoy the look on the store employee's face when you buy four large bottles of peroxide and a big box of douche.
Posted via Mobile Device