The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Billy Cook Training Saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/billy-cook-training-saddle-21416/)

Sadierebel 01-24-2009 07:52 PM

Billy Cook Training Saddle

I bought a saddle a few years ago for saddle breaking but Its getting to worn out. So I was looking at the Billy Cook Roughout Training saddle, and was wondering If anybody has used It on there youngsters. How durable was/is it? I own several billy cook saddles and the seem to be great for me and my horses. I plan on starting to slip a saddle on my 2yr.old colt this summer and was hoping to buy something "before" that time comes. Has there been any known problems with it, or If there is something else that Is good and brand name. I tend to like the brand names (no offense) because they tend to last longer. Any feed back about this saddle before I buy it would be great :).

SouthernTrails 01-24-2009 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll put this one up against a Billy Cook any day. $300.00 less too.

Attachment 3410

smrobs 01-24-2009 10:42 PM

I agree with STGA up to a point. I have got 3 custom made Billy Cook saddles that were made in the 70's but his seem to be lacking in quality these days. This is the saddle that I have and train all my young ones in. It is very high quality and comfortable.
Navajo Roper Saddle by Simco: Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com

Sadierebel 01-25-2009 10:59 AM

SouthernTrailsGA, I looked at your website (assuming its yours :)?). The saddle you picture Is a trail saddle, not that I say you can't use that type of saddle for saddle training. But with youngsters if Its not durable and built for hard work It just won't last the first 90 days on 1 horses back. If I don't use a saddle designed for training, I go with a work saddle. That is designed for hard labor, specially considering my stud colt never seems to run out of fuel when he wants to put up a fight.

I do like the navajo but I've never heard of that saddle before? How long have you owned one, do they seem to fit your horses right? Do you find the seat to be comfortable? Thanks :)

SouthernTrails 01-25-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadierebel (Post 237963)
SouthernTrailsGA, I looked at your website (assuming its yours :)?). The saddle you picture Is a trail saddle, not that I say you can't use that type of saddle for saddle training. But with youngsters if Its not durable and built for hard work It just won't last the first 90 days on 1 horses back. If I don't use a saddle designed for training, I go with a work saddle. That is designed for hard labor, specially considering my stud colt never seems to run out of fuel when he wants to put up a fight.

I do like the navajo but I've never heard of that saddle before? How long have you owned one, do they seem to fit your horses right? Do you find the seat to be comfortable? Thanks :)

The Simco Trail Saddle is not mine. PS, the Navajo is a good Trail Saddle, my partner company sells the Simco-Longhorn Saddles.

My Suggestion is:

The T-300 Training Saddle, it is a Roping Saddle, modified with Close Contact Skirting and Mutli-purpose rings for various Training devices.

You can get it an upgrade 3/4" padding a N/C if you like.

Sadierebel 01-25-2009 02:09 PM

SouthernTrailsGA, I looked In to that saddle you posted and Its similar to the Royal King Roughout. As you mention Billy Cook is a bit expensive, but the Royal King Is almost $200 cheaper than the T-300 Training Saddle. My sister competed with a Royal King barrel saddle last season and doesn't have any problems with it what so ever. So I'm thinking about checking one out and If It doesn't work out I can sell or trade It for something else. I've always loved Billy Cook and had good repore with it, but I've hardly ever used It for training. So thats my only concern :(.

smrobs 01-25-2009 03:56 PM

I have had the Navaho Roping saddle for about 5 years now and it has been under heavy use. Breaking colts and roping yearling cattle for doctoring. It fits my horses very well and the seat is very comfortable for extended time in the saddle. The only thing that I don't like about it for training is that it weighs the same as most other roping saddles, nearly 50 lbs.

SouthernTrails 01-25-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadierebel (Post 238044)
SouthernTrailsGA, I looked In to that saddle you posted and Its similar to the Royal King Roughout. As you mention Billy Cook is a bit expensive, but the Royal King Is almost $200 cheaper than the T-300 Training Saddle. My sister competed with a Royal King barrel saddle last season and doesn't have any problems with it what so ever. So I'm thinking about checking one out and If It doesn't work out I can sell or trade It for something else. I've always loved Billy Cook and had good repore with it, but I've hardly ever used It for training. So thats my only concern :(.

I used to offer the Royal Kings, King Series, Silver Royal, but I found out they are made in India (at least for the last 6-8 years), I took one of their Saddles apart one day, nails (not even barbed nails) instead of screws, tree was part hollow, only one third of it was re-enforced with fiberglass, some of it in the wrong place.

You can probably find a Good Used Saddle on Tack Trader, just stick with a Good Brand Name American Made.

Sorry, smrobs, your right you have the Navaho which is a Roping Saddle.

toosexy4myspotz 01-25-2009 07:40 PM

I am all for the Royal King Roughout training saddles. Super comfortable from the very first ride and they last forever. I have on that I had for 5 years and used it on youngters to start them . Its been rolled in, rained out, covered in mud, bumped, whatever and it still rides and uses like I just bought it.

Sadierebel 01-26-2009 10:26 AM

I find nothing wrong with a saddle that was not made in America southerntrailsGA. A good saddle is just that a good saddle, as long as it fits the horse and stays In good shape for a long term time, I find there no main importance on what country made it :). Thanks toosexy4myspots, It sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll probably try the roughout or the Navaho. I just need a saddle that can stand up for some heavy and rough use lol.