The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   online horse courses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/online-horse-courses-21421/)

Royal Freckles 01-24-2009 08:42 PM

online horse courses

Not really sure if this could go under training, so I put it here. What are your opinions of online horse courses? Has anyone here taken any? Do you think they are beneficial, or a waste of time and money (scam)?

I have done some google searches and I find several online courses for becoming a certified trainer or horse whatever, and they have testimonials on their site, but I consider that biased. I have not really been able to find any blogs or anything talking about them for people to express any negative or positive thoughts. So I figured I would ask the real horse people who are not getting paid for their opinion :lol:

appylover31803 01-24-2009 09:04 PM

I saw those. Not sure how well it would work and all.Usually though, if you take classes there, the credits don't transfer to other colleges.

Miss Katie 01-24-2009 09:58 PM

Im guessing you are american, so go to the USDF website, and they have a section called education > university with a list of college courses that can be done online or externally. The courses all come from proper colleges, and if you are a USDF memeber they also count towards the USDF University program.
They arent coaching courses and they also dont leave you with a full diploma, but if you wanted to do a diploma Im sure the credits would count.

Im considering an Australian course called Cert 3 in horse management (performance horse) that is online, because I cant afford to go away to study. I want to go on to earn a diploma eventally but this should get me started.

ETA: USDF | Education | University

appylover31803 01-24-2009 10:41 PM

Wow!
I must say, I'm really thinking about taking one of those classes, it seems really cool and a lot better than the ones I had found.

wordstoasong 01-24-2009 10:46 PM

I'll be taking the Equine Studies courses from Equine Guelph. =]

smrobs 01-24-2009 10:50 PM

Eh, I am not sure about doing them online. There are lots of things that you can only learn from hands-on experience with a qualified instructor. Doing things as described in a book and doing them for real are 2 very different things. You might be able to get a good basis for further education from one though.