The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Thoroughbred owners! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/thoroughbred-owners-214218/)

Eventer201496 06-16-2013 02:02 PM

Thoroughbred owners!

I own a 9 year old thoroughbred gelding, and absolutely love him! I find that he is always on edge and ready to go, with the right commands he settles down. I never know what he's going to do next. We make a great team, As we know how each other works. Do other people who own thoroughbreds feel the same way about their horse?

TheatricalAffair 06-16-2013 06:37 PM

Love my OTTB! I've had him for 3 months. He just turned 4 years old. He's athletic, quiet, easy-going and I couldn't ask for a more loving, promising, talented young prospect.

Clava 06-16-2013 06:39 PM

I have had my TB 5 years, we know each other well :-)

MyBoyPuck 06-19-2013 09:16 PM

I've had my TB for 7 years now. We are two peas in a pod. Love him to death.

BayDancer 06-24-2013 07:32 PM

I've had my OTTB for 6 years and wouldn't trade him for the world! He's my partner in crime, and my perfect equine half. He's incredibly brave, willing to face anything new without ever batting an eye. We trail ride, jump, train in dressage, and in general do whatever we feel like :)

I've had 99% good experiences with TBs, including working with racehorses. They don't deserve their bad reputation, that's for sure!

TBforever 06-24-2013 07:44 PM

had my 7yr old ottb 8 months leasing, 2 months owning, and we both still learning together hes awesome

Sunnylucy 06-24-2013 07:45 PM

I've only had my guy for 8 months, he's a teenager with a real sense of humor and zest for life. It is amazing the preconceived ideas people have of TB's that are simply not true. After getting to know him, people are always surprised that the bad things they thought about TB's are not true. :)

BayDancer 06-24-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnylucy (Post 2882225)
I've only had my guy for 8 months, he's a teenager with a real sense of humor and zest for life. It is amazing the preconceived ideas people have of TB's that are simply not true. After getting to know him, people are always surprised that the bad things they thought about TB's are not true. :)

TBs are individuals, just like any other horse. I've seen horses so hot they could barely keep their feet on the ground, and I've seen young OTTBs carrying beginners quietly around the arena. Just like anything else, it's unfair to slap a label on them--it amazes me too that people don't understand that.

If you're gonna slap a label on a TB, how about loving or loyal or intelligent or brave?? Not 100% true across the board, but it's true way more often than "hot and crazy" is!! :lol:

picup436 06-24-2013 08:32 PM

I've had my girl for 5 years now. She's a little superstar and I love her to bits. We've had our ups and downs, the last 2 years have been hellish, but we're back on track now and going strong.

She's talented, but also an opinionated little madam that tries to tell me that she knows better than I do! I have to really use my brain when I ride her and I will never ever ever ride her hungover again, she gets crazy offended when I do that!!!

A pic, just because she's so darn cute!
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...x/picofKey.png

TBforever 06-24-2013 08:34 PM

i think people forget that race horses are pumped with high energy feed, im sure if we took ectasy we would be crazy