The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Anyone have this change? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/anyone-have-change-21424/)

chelssss(: 01-24-2009 09:38 PM

Anyone have this change?

Well i mainly ride hunters. And of course hunters are nice and easy horses and how you take them around the ring, etc.

well a pony that i trained, Taffy, she was always heavy and i rode very strongly. I have always ridden strongly.

which leads me to my tb.

he's QUITE the jumper. and could jump the moon if he was allowed :)

has anyone had this change to hunter/jumpers. . . to just JUMPERS?
im getting into jumpers more. but down where i live. there is no jumpers. only hunters. i have to travel for an hour, sometimes more for jumpers shows.

hopefully by the next couple seasons and getting my TB more used to shows i can soonly start jumpers.

Spyder 01-24-2009 10:18 PM

Many top jumpers started out as hunters. It really is not that unusual.

Dartanion 01-24-2009 10:28 PM

I had kind of a reverse I went from doing Jumpers with my mare to Hunters with my gelding D LOL. Now we do Hunters and jumpers, He's very good at both so far lol but lazy in jumpers I wont lie lol.:lol:

chelssss(: 01-25-2009 07:59 AM

Yeah well my horse is not a hunter. And me, I'm not much of a hunter/jumper.
my older pony Secret was a dressage/ pleasure pony so she taught me how to stay calm in the saddle. But then I got more into jumping, and she cant jump because of leg issues.

Equuestriaan 01-25-2009 09:20 AM

What is the difference?

Spyder 01-25-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equuestriaan (Post 237930)
What is the difference?

There is more to it than this but on the basic level hunters are judged on style and way of going and jumpers are scored on faults only. So a jumper as long as they get over the fence without knocking it down then they are good to go. Knocking a fence down in hunter is not good either but there are no "faults" as such counted.

Equuestriaan 01-25-2009 10:47 AM

Ohh thanks!

upnover 01-25-2009 02:51 PM

I've thought about it and done the jumpers a bit here and there. I think I'm a hunter girl at heart but I love how technical a jumper course can be. And well, there's a part of me that would love to do a grand prix. :-)

chelssss(: 01-25-2009 04:59 PM

yeah like me, i have ALWAYS been a more forward rider, not as much of a hunter, I love speed and just going, and i love the turns and the agility of the jumpers. ive done one jumpers show. our local hunters show holds an annual jumpers show with time faults, and the jumps get higher and higher the more rounds you go. and i LOVED it. I rode my morgan pony taff that ive trained myself and we went up to 3'6". it was great.

hntrjmpr 01-25-2009 07:06 PM

I started off hunters and did the whole circuit all of my junior years and even made it to the maclay finals 2 years in a row. But now that I no longer considered a 'junior' I have made the big cross over to jumpers and LOVE IT! The atmosphere is a lot more fun and not as serious and uptight as hunters :)