The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Impossible Bathing. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/impossible-bathing-214266/)

horselove366 06-16-2013 02:13 PM

Impossible Bathing.

So, I have a 2 year old gelding, who's rather skiddish of a few things, fly sprays for one. Now because hes young, he's shedding skin like crazy and the only way to fix that problem is to bath him. So yesterday I safely had him tied up and I had my bucket of sudsy water and a sponge, and I slowly began bathing him. Once that sponge touched his back he instantly freaked out. I gave it a good hour and he was okay with just the one side as long as he could see what I was doing but he's still unsure. I'm not too sure as to what to do because now he barely lets me go up to him with a brush, and he loves being brushed but after his bath experience, not so much. My sister suggested to just start at his feet and work my way up but if that doesn't work, does anyone have any easier ideas? He doesn't like the hose either so that's out of the question for now.

Kayella 06-16-2013 02:18 PM

Did you acclimate him to the cold water? You should always start at their feet and slowly work upwards to get them used to the temperature change. Not doing so can put them into shock, and will definitely make a horse freak out. It's like us getting into a pool. We like to slowly get in to acclimate because getting in too fast makes us shiver and gasp for air.
Posted via Mobile Device

horselove366 06-16-2013 02:20 PM

It was fairly warm water, like air temperature, I'm thinking it was more so because of the dripping and the whole fly situation but it also makes me think different because he doesn't like being sprayed either.

natisha 06-16-2013 02:43 PM

Practice without soap in the water or you may have a heck of a time rinsing.

Shedding skin?:shock:

horselove366 06-16-2013 03:08 PM

Yes, shedding skin, like peeling. Like as if he had a sunburn.

natisha 06-16-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horselove366 (Post 2816138)
Yes, shedding skin, like peeling. Like as if he had a sunburn.

That does not sound like a normal young horse thing. Treatment will be a guess, at best, without knowing the cause.

horselove366 06-16-2013 03:29 PM

I've had quite a few people tell me its just because he's growing but I really don't know so I was really hoping someone here had the same issue and knew what to do because I don't have the slightest idea.

Kayella 06-16-2013 04:06 PM

I have a yearling and he's never once "shed skin" besides some cuts healing and peeling. Do you have pictures of his skin peeling? What breed is he?

horselove366 06-16-2013 04:13 PM

http://i44.tinypic.com/1z2n1us.jpg
This is him, as of about 10 minutes ago. Hes a purebred Egyptian Arabian.

Kayella 06-16-2013 04:16 PM

I just saw that in your other thread. It does look like he's having a reaction to something, or his skin may be drying out.