The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Ottb crit. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/ottb-crit-214562/)

Lx3 06-16-2013 10:51 PM

Ottb crit.

Actually.. He's currently racing. 4 y/o 15.3 gelding.. Was ridden dressage all winter and does now between races. Supposedly training-first level ready. Hoping to go see him this week :) whatcha think?
http://maesracer.m.webs.com/

Video http://youtu.be/oLILYlHVz3E
Posted via Mobile Device

Weezilla 06-16-2013 11:13 PM

Sadly the link doesn't link.

Lx3 06-17-2013 12:52 AM

http://youtu.be/oLILYlHVz3E
Mae's Racer

Lx3 06-17-2013 12:53 AM

JustDressageIt 06-17-2013 01:06 AM

What are you wanting to do with this horse?

The horse has been trained to move like a HUS horse - right down to having a fake tail in, I'd be willing to bet. I like him in the video, but he's not accepting contact and he's not moving forwards... i.e. he's NOT ready to go win at training/first level, he needs an education in impulsion.
From the photo - looks like a totally different horse; one I'm not as keen on. Long back, a bit over at the knee - I'd like to see a different pic.

Lx3 06-17-2013 01:21 AM

I'm looking to use him in dressage and maybe some jumping.. I come from a hus and hunter/jumper background, so that's probably why I like him in the video so much ;)

Of course I expect to have to do some work with him.. And after all he's only 4. I did notice the loose rein in the video as well. I can see lack of impulsion now.. All I was seeing before was quiet.

I agree the picture is not the best. I would rather him be forward than back at the knee as far as jumpers go though.

Thanks for the solid critique! How do you like him as far as potential goes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 06-17-2013 08:55 AM

Pretty nice horse (build wise) tho more for hunter over fences than upper level dressage.

He is being ridden front to back which is too bad. Rider bounces him in the mouth a bit and he is over the bit and heavy on the forehand. That needs to be fixed (looser rein and driven forward). He transitions nicely UP but loses balance going DOWN because he is on his forehand.

I like that he has decent bone and a decent shoulder.

Lx3 06-17-2013 01:43 PM

Again, thanks so much for the informative reply! I guess I just can't get over my eye for jumpers! Lol

I'm also a little bit worried about how I'd look on him.. His rider here is 5'4 and I'm 5'7! Though I do prefer smaller ones..
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 06-17-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lx3 (Post 2823930)
Again, thanks so much for the informative reply! I guess I just can't get over my eye for jumpers! Lol

I'm also a little bit worried about how I'd look on him.. His rider here is 5'4 and I'm 5'7! Though I do prefer smaller ones..
Posted via Mobile Device

Size (height) is not important. Weight can be. Ever see a cutting horse? Most are around 14 hh.. and have big men with big hats on them.

Smaller horse tends to be handier and move quicker and, IMO, stay sounder longer in general work.

No idea where you want to go dressage wise. This horse probably won't be Grand Prix international material.. but most horses can learn all the moves even if they do not score well. I wonder if this horse might not make a nice Eventer.

Weezilla 06-17-2013 08:27 PM

I reallly rather like him for dressage and some jumping. I think I see a gag bit in his mouth? That would explain the "set" of his neck--not liking that for dressage or any flatwork; however he has 3 nice gaits, though he's not being asked to show much. The canter is quite nice with 3 clear beats and is his most uphill gait, the trot as with the canter needs impulsion. He has a nice overreach in the walk and a soft swinging tail at trot. The tactful rider sits very lightly - almost half seat at canter, and seems to me to be working to present him as quietly as she can, hence the quiet rhythmic ride at the cost of impulsion. Considering how OTTBs look when coming off the track, I think his basics are well started for the most part.

GP material? Probably not - though you can say that about 95% of purpose-bred warmbloods out there. Flashy, sound, well-started with 3 decent gaits? IMO, yes. And remember, you can train a trot, but you have to buy a walk and a canter:wink:

The rider looks well on him-how tall is she?

A 4 y o who races in between dressage training? That's kinda cool, and he looks sound in the video. IMO not 1st L-ready, and not any level-ready in a gag. But I like the potential I see here, and quite like what the rider has done with him so far, including the rudimentary turn on the haunches. I feel like the rider/trainer has a reason for working him this way, and I'd love to know why he's in a gag versus a simple snaffle of some sort.

And by all means, do consider eventing!