The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   So proud of my girl! (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/so-proud-my-girl-214746/)

GracielaGata 06-17-2013 09:33 AM

So proud of my girl!

Just wanted to share my excitement. :) I just got back from my first overnight horse camping trip ever. Sonata is 4 and a half years old.
She had to highline, and never had done it before. She was with 5 other horses and did it like a pro. Even figured out how to lay down and roll on it (when we were awake to watch) with no problems.

As for the trails- we did 4-6 hour trail rides, and she was near angelic. She adores bushwacking trails, so she was in heaven. She got to jump a few logs, cross wide flowing creeks- though she of course had to jump 4+ ft across a trickle of a creek, go figure! We cantered some trails- *much* harder to do than on flat ground.

Anyhoo, I am just super proud of her and wanted to share! :)

Roadyy 06-17-2013 12:39 PM

That is great. I can imagine how much that boosts your confidence and will get you out there more.
Posted via Mobile Device

GracielaGata 06-17-2013 12:40 PM

Oh yeah! We actually ride a lot, and she is a very level headed and awesome girl. The highlining had me worried... but she proved her merit on that one. :)

Roadyy 06-17-2013 01:41 PM

Great to hear that. You'll have to post some pics for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 06-17-2013 01:54 PM

Congrats! Sounds like she's gonna be a GREAT horse. =D

GracielaGata 06-17-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadyy (Post 2824426)
Great to hear that. You'll have to post some pics for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 2824546)
Congrats! Sounds like she's gonna be a GREAT horse. =D

Thanks!
Corporal, i think it was you a few months back that I had asked if I was riding her too hard, and you had commented that it was great to get her exposed to so much- that is so true! She goes through it all without much thought to fear or whatnot. Just the occasional 'hey, mom, where exactly do I put my feet, there isn't any ground here.' Lol.

Definitely she will be/is! :)
I didn't get to take any pics of the trail riding, as it was always very tight or precarious for photos, and I am not very adept yet at holding Sonata still and taking a still pic without dropping stuff.
I have pics of her being an expert high-liner with her new friends :)
Of course they are too big, so I will get them resized and uploaded in a bit :)

QOS 06-17-2013 06:47 PM

sounds like a blast! Post some pictures of Sonata being a great trail horse!

Sunny 06-17-2013 08:04 PM

Yay! I know that is a great feeling!

Last year I took my then four-and-a-half year old on her first overnight trail ride. We didn't have to highline (thank God!) because there were outdoor paddocks, but I was still ecstatic like you are! It's awesome to have those "firsts" with your horse.

GracielaGata 06-18-2013 12:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks QOS and Sunny!

I am very thrilled with her!
I had kinda worried about the highlining, as she had a bit of an issue setting back when she was younger. I had been working on it, and knock on wood, we seem to have it worked out.

Here are a couple of pics of my girl highlining, since the trails were too thick or precarious to get any good pics. next trip I will try! It might not be pics of her and her awesome trail riding, but the highlining is a feat in itself, to a degree. :)

Cacowgirl 06-18-2013 10:16 AM

I love those pics! Glad you had such a great time.