The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   homemade alternatives to the expensive shop bought items? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/homemade-alternatives-expensive-shop-bought-items-214810/)

midnight dream 06-17-2013 12:19 PM

homemade alternatives to the expensive shop bought items?

anyone know of any cheap or handmade alternatives to any shop bought items for example fly spray/ main tail detangler/ wound creams/ or any herbal remedies that work just as good or better that shop items

BarrelRace4Life 06-17-2013 12:32 PM

There are a ton of homemade recipes for fly sprays on the internet. I've personally never tried any but I'm sure they work alright!

As for the others, I like to use baby wipes at a show to clean my horses face and make their coat super shiny. You could also use just simple polysporin to help with wounds (cheaper than what they have on the market for horses). I've also mixed water with any conditioner to make a detangler, it worked very well and my horses tail super soft!

Saddlebag 06-17-2013 01:07 PM

As previously mentioned on this sight I had great luck with cornstarch rubbed into literally a large rat's nest in a tail just below the dock. It makes the hair slippery and much easier to pick out. Completely safe on the horse's skin as well. Keep in mind when trying home remedies is that a horse's skin is much more sensititive to topical products than human skin. Some will even remove hair.

midnight dream 06-17-2013 04:39 PM

great will try these and what conditioner do you use i bought a cheap one and seems pretty pointless at doesnt work very well my my boy ( i mix it with water)

BarrelRace4Life 06-17-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnight dream (Post 2825706)
great will try these and what conditioner do you use i bought a cheap one and seems pretty pointless at doesnt work very well my my boy ( i mix it with water)

I used any old human conditioner laying around. You can use horse conditioner too. Pantene is usually a good brand but whatever you have should work as long as you like it!

lkjhorse927 06-20-2013 05:30 PM

You can make polo wraps, standing bandages, and such on your own if you have basic sewing skills. I'm not sure how, but my barn manager uses some sort of bulk pesticide for cattle or something and mixes it up for his horses... Not sure about that.... There are lots of online recipies I've seen for fly spray. We have 6 horses and find it less expensive if you buy the concentrate of fly spray and dilute it yourself. You can use human shampoos and conditioners, and try to really groom your horse well so they shine naturally and you don't need shine enhancers. If you go to a 4h tack sale or garage sale type thing there are usually gently used items for very cheap. Try to borrow what you can.

HorseCrazyTeen 06-22-2013 03:10 PM

For conditioner I personally really like Fructis Sleek and Shine leave-in conditioner. It makes my horse long hair so soft!

donovan 06-27-2013 11:32 PM

Brylcreem is good for tail/mane detangling and it works well as a plait holder!

KatieQ 06-28-2013 12:03 AM

I use the conditioner that comes in my hair dye (Natural Instincts). It is an Aloe conditioner and very gentle, and they give you LOTS of it in every box of dye- I have several partly-used tubes lying around because I never use a whole tube before I need to dye my hair again! My horses have lovely manes and tails! I also mix their commercially bought fly spray with vinegar to stretch it out. Both my boys have sweet itch and the vinegar seems to help a lot. Apparently it changes their skin pH and makes them less tasty to the bugs. I know the old teamsters also used to wash their horses with it to toughen up their skin and prevent harness sores, etc.

plomme 06-30-2013 11:12 AM

You can use sugar and betadine on wounds and to heal abscesses when they have finished draining. Some people use it while they are draining but I like Epsom salt soaks and Animalintex to keep them draining and so you can actually see what comes out.