The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help! Bucking when I ask to canter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-bucking-when-i-ask-canter-215234/)

ridingonrain 06-17-2013 09:19 PM

Help! Bucking when I ask to canter?

My horse is a 12yo QH who I've owned for the last two years. I had a family emergency earlier this year, so I asked someone to look after him and his pasture buddy. I resumed riding and caring for him three weeks ago, though I can only ride bareback, due to a child ruining my saddle. :(

Anyways, I was riding yesterday, and he was doing perfectly until I asked him to canter, and he started bucking. I pulled his head up and rode through it, but it's very inconvenient after not riding for a while, and having to do it bareback. I got off, and started lunging him, he did pretty well, had a little buck but barely anything. Got back on and he resumed bucking.

What should I do?

TheatricalAffair 06-17-2013 09:31 PM

Maybe something somewhere hurts him? Maybe back sore? Hock Sore?

Prinella 06-17-2013 09:32 PM

Was he bucking on the lunge too?
When you got back on was he fun w/t then bucking at canter?
Have you been cantering him since he came back in to work?
Has he ever shown any behaviour like this previously?

My first thought is he could be sore. Horses are idiots and more then capable of pulling a muscle in the paddock.

He could also just be feeling fresh and being excited if this is the first canter you've had.

His back could be getting a bit sore too depending on how much bareback you're doing and a whole host of other factors. You could try a puffy saddle blanket with surcingle to cushion.

Northernstar 06-17-2013 09:36 PM

Maybe a combination of things - were you using a bareback riding pad? Was he possibly being "Buddy/Pasture Sour?" Does he normally "act up" after not being ridden for a while? Nonetheless, he's a horse, and is going to want to exhibit horse behavior as I know mine do from time to time! Go with your instincts, and continue to be in tune with what the horse is thinking - best of luck :)

ridingonrain 06-17-2013 09:37 PM

I rubbed him all over trying to find soreness, I'm pretty sure he isn't. I remember him acting like he was sore last year and this isn't it.
He bucked a little in the lunge, and tried to swing his hindquarters around to kick me. After I got back on, yes he was fine with everything but the canter. He's always been super sweet to ride, so I'm thinking this might be something the horse-sitter did? Or maybe just him being a brat.

Prinella 06-17-2013 09:39 PM

Different soreness shows differently.
Do you have a pad or anything for cushioning?

Was the horsesitter riding?

ridingonrain 06-17-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northernstar (Post 2828050)
Maybe a combination of things - were you using a bareback riding pad? Was he possibly being "Buddy/Pasture Sour?" Does he normally "act up" after not being ridden for a while?

I wasn't using one, no. I rode him twice last week, and he was fine, no problems whatsoever. I was just riding him in the pasture adjacent to where his buddy was, right where I was last week, so I don't think that's it either.

ridingonrain 06-17-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prinella (Post 2828090)

Was the horsesitter riding?

I think she was. I didn't say anything to her, specifying if she could or couldn't, though I did say she could ride his buddy horse, as he's bomb-proof.

Tracer 06-17-2013 09:54 PM

Is it just one buck and then fine, or is he trying to get you off? I think that'd be a big help to know whether it's pain related. If he kept bucking, I'd bet he's either sore or something happened to make him dislike it. I'd be curious to see how he went in a canter with a saddle, whether it's connected to the bareback factor...

ridingonrain 06-17-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracer (Post 2828266)
Is it just one buck and then fine, or is he trying to get you off? I think that'd be a big help to know whether it's pain related. If he kept bucking, I'd bet he's either sore or something happened to make him dislike it. I'd be curious to see how he went in a canter with a saddle, whether it's connected to the bareback factor...

After I ask him to canter from either a walk or trot, he takes one big jump, bucks once or twice, crowhops a little, canters for a couple strides, and keeps bucking/crowhopping. They aren't very strong, as he's pretty out of shape.
Maybe it's just that he doesn't want to exert that much energy, that's why he bucks when he lunges too? I've had his back checked out so I know it isn't a physical problem.
I'm curious to how he'd act in the saddle as well.