The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Riding Helmets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/riding-helmets-215506/)

Cynical25 06-18-2013 12:37 PM

Riding Helmets

Any recomendations for an inexpensive schooling helmet?

It's a gazillion degrees in TX, so breathable & lightweight are key. I don't usually wear a helmet, but I'm trying to be smarter when I start riding my youngster.

Speed Racer 06-18-2013 12:39 PM

Define 'inexpensive'. My inexpensive might be too much for your pocketbook.

demonwolfmoon 06-18-2013 12:42 PM

I'd try ebay, then cross reference brands with reviews on outside sites.

Delfina 06-18-2013 12:46 PM

Troxels are a good low-cost option.

I have a Troxel Sierra and while it's definitely nothing gorgeous or suitable to wear while showing, it's light, breathable and after a few weeks of getting used to it, I no longer notice that I have it on.

Zeke 06-18-2013 12:55 PM

The lightest, most breathable, helmet I've found that fits my small head very comfortably is the Ovation schooler. It's not "cheap" at $60 but I've found it to be well worth the money since I actually enjoy wearing it!

Troxels are even lower in cost in some instances. I'm drawing a blank on what exactly IRH stands for but their good helmets as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cynical25 06-18-2013 01:29 PM

I'm thinking under $100.

I board my little WP horse at a predominately eventing & dressage barn and most have helmets which are several hundred out of my budget, so I don't have in-person recs. I've seen the Ovation Deluxe Schooler and several Troxel models for around $60, which is reasonable enough to try, I suppose.

Thanks for the input!

Speed Racer 06-18-2013 01:54 PM

I'm a big fan of the Tipperary Sportage. Extremely lightweight and durable, and has quite a bit of venting. You can buy them for less than $65.00.

Zeke 06-18-2013 02:31 PM

Ah yes, forgot about the Tipperary! It's comfy too but seems more square then my head is lol.

NBEventer 06-18-2013 02:35 PM

Ovation! I love my ovation helmet. Super light weight and very "cool" as it is well vented. I would stay away from Troxel. The harness on them is known to come loose while you are riding. We have banned them in our school due to a few incidents now and I keep hearing more and more horror stories. My students troxel flew off her head before she even hit the ground and I had checked it before she got on.

jaydee 06-18-2013 04:04 PM

I've tried a few of these lightweight helmets and they don't seem really comfortable, the Ovation my husband has is about the best but I've gone back to my UK Charles Owen skull cap, it really isn't that hotter and fits my head better