The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How to take off Name Plates from Strapgoods?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-take-off-name-plates-strapgoods-21557/)

Equina 01-26-2009 07:52 PM

How to take off Name Plates from Strapgoods?!?!

So, I just bought some REAL nice quality tack at REAL cheap prices. Only problem: previous horse's brass nameplates! How do I get those things off? On some, the rivet thingee is flat on front and back, on others it is flat on front, and hollow on the back. I hope that makes sense. Help! :lol:

LauraB 01-26-2009 10:09 PM

Maybe wirecutters or pliers of somesort? Or you could possibly grind off the rivets if you have a metal grinder. It sounds like a job I would pass on to my husband or dad. lol

upnover 01-27-2009 12:12 PM

Is there a tack shop around you who puts them on? They will be experts in taking them off! (and possibly replacing them with plates of your own...)

iridehorses 01-27-2009 08:14 PM

You need to drill out the rivets from the back. If you've never worked a drill it would be better to let someone show you how or do it for you.

Vidaloco 01-27-2009 08:25 PM

Drills work best but if you have a large punch or tap and a hammer you can punch it out. If your not sure about it, best to have a professional do it. Look for either a tack shop, saddle maker or shoe repair place. They should have the tools to do it properly.

Vidaloco 01-27-2009 08:36 PM

Sorry to DP but I wonder if you could use a dremel tool to buff/grind off the old name and then engrave yours on. Just a thought :?

Equina 01-28-2009 02:27 AM

Thanks for all the responses! But darn, I was hoping it would be easy!!

I think I'm too scared to try to drill them out myself. Maybe I'll check with my local shoe shop or else I'll bring them to a good tack shop next time I'm in the big city. I don't think my local tack shop does that kind of thing. :D

Vidaloco 01-28-2009 10:56 AM

You might even try a dry cleaner that does alterations or an auto-body shop. They often have the tools that removes rivets. Not sure if they would be the right kind but it wouldn't hurt to ask :? I'm sure the cost would be cheap to free if you ask nice. :wink:

iridehorses 01-28-2009 01:37 PM

Those are great ideas Maureen. You can also try an auto repair place, or a hardware store.

Vidaloco 01-28-2009 01:55 PM

I only have the tool that puts rivets in :lol: