The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   my horse is scared of spray bottles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-scared-spray-bottles-215586/)

lovejewel 06-18-2013 02:14 PM

my horse is scared of spray bottles?

My horse doesnt like spray bottles, and it doesnt help that she is a gray mare who likes to sleep on her poo.
If I take time with her, she will eventually stand still and will let me spray her if she is loose in her paddock. But if she is tied up or if I just want to spray one spot on her body, she freaks out :(
She is a little bit better with bathing, although she does move around quite a bit and it would be great if I can get some tips on how to deal with it and how to train her out of it.
Thank you

palogal 06-18-2013 03:06 PM

It sounds like she has a tying/claustrophobia problem and the spray bottle issue is secondary.

loveponyrider86 06-18-2013 03:36 PM

But she is completely fine being tied otherwise, doesn't move and do anything when I just tie her up/cross ties for grooming, tacking up, shoeing and clipping so it is hard to believe that she has a tying up issue
Posted via Mobile Device

gigem88 06-18-2013 03:52 PM

Get a spray bottle and fill it full with water. Put the halter and lead on her, then start spraying off to her side. If she moves, go with her continuing to spray. When she stands still and relaxes, stop spraying and pet her and tell how good she is. Keep repeating this until you can actually spray her body and she stands still and relaxed. Then, do the other side. My gelding was the same way and after the sensory over load, he just gave up and stood there.

KylieHuitema 06-18-2013 04:06 PM

My 4 year old horse was extremely dangerous with spray bottles. He would rear, strike out, bite, etc etc. I dealt with it very quickly, as I didn't want anyone to get hurt around him. I had a rope halter on him and long-ish lead. I would rub him all over with the bottle until he is calm and start spraying. I would have his head flexed around so he wouldn't be able to hurt me in anyway and just continuously spray him. Eventually it clicked in his head that a fly spray bottle wouldn't kill him and now he stands for it.

Good luck!