The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Advantages of Owning Instead of Leasing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/advantages-owning-instead-leasing-215594/)

ponyluver420 06-18-2013 03:21 PM

Advantages of Owning Instead of Leasing

The title pretty much says it all, but before you reply make sure that you know I don't mean right off the bat, i mean like after someone has been leasing for several months to a year or longer, what aspects make owning the more beneficial of the two options. Don't post here if you are gonna tell us about the opposite, start your own thread for that and people can compare the two to see which one is best for them and their situation. Thanks!

wetrain17 06-18-2013 03:40 PM

Like most horse owners, I'm a control freak. I couldnt handle leasing more so because I want to be the one who makes the final decision on things. I couldnt deal with always having to ask the owner to change something or do something with the horse.

HorseMom1025 06-18-2013 03:46 PM

We leased our mare for 9 months before purchasing her. Probably the biggest benefit has been control. We are the only ones who ride her (our barn has exclusive leases BUT has a clause that if the BO needs the horse for a camp, that she can use your lease horse if you are not using her.)

I was more confident in purchasing tack. Our tack fits both horse and rider.

But, I have to agree, the bottom line is control. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 06-18-2013 03:47 PM

The complete control over the horse but it comes with a price tag.

Your training goals are also completely your own.

ponyluver420 06-18-2013 03:51 PM

Yeah, those are all reasons why I don't like leasing and want to own! I lease a lesson horse, and I don't really feel like I have control over what happens to him! Joey's like a 20ish year old pony, and they have him in camp 5 days a week then 3 lessons on top of that! WTH! If he were mine, I'd only work him like 4 or 5x a week. I also don't like how their farrier trims, but I don't have the authority to change farriers! It kinda drives me crazy... Keep the replies coming!

ponyluver420 06-18-2013 03:52 PM

lol, that was a bit of a rant but you get where I'm coming from, right? :-)

5Bijou5 06-18-2013 03:56 PM

Well this is the argument my dad used when I wanted to lease. "Why would you put so much money into somebody else's horse? Why put in all that time and training just to have it taken away and you never get to reap what you sowed. Just buy a horse and all the money and time you put into it will come back to you."

ponyluver420 06-18-2013 04:00 PM

Oh, and I hate it when he's in a lesson with a bad rider that let's him get away with stuff! Then my next ride, I have to work on correcting that, instead of focusing on something more important! Grr...

HorseMom1025 06-18-2013 04:13 PM

Choosing your farrier (shoe or barefoot), your vet, and your feed/supplements is beneficial too. I don't have to ask "permission" to haul my horse off the property for an event (not that they ever said "no"...but it was courtesy to ask).
Posted via Mobile Device

Hunter65 06-18-2013 04:14 PM

I have to agree with the control thing. I was leasing before I adopted Hunter, BUT it was only $80 a month and I was basically the only one riding him, so that was a whole lot cheaper than owning. Now I fork out a heck of a lot more money but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have had people ask me if I wanted to half lease Hunter but I just can't deal with someone else riding him and whatever they will do when I am not there.