The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Help with stalls (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/help-stalls-215666/)

rallen9491 06-18-2013 05:31 PM

Help with stalls

My stalls are a little over 7 yearsd old. They were originally just dirt and are cleaned well daily but over the years a few of the stalls have been dug away to the point where there are large dips in the middle of the stall where all the urine and moisture gather. Its getting worse the more it goes on. I need to fill in these dips and level my stalls but I have no access to a bobcat or large machinary. I was wondering what are some good ideas for materials just as gravel, sand or dirt, or procedures to get my stalls level again?

CLaPorte432 06-18-2013 05:39 PM

893 Attachment(s)
What we do is rotatill inside the stall.

we have the same problem with our stalls.

what we are doing this year is rotatilling and leveling. Then digging a deep hole in the center and filling with gravel. Then making sure its all level and I'm investing in rubber mats.

my theory is that the mats will keep the stalls easier to clean, use less bedding and not having the issue of the dirt getting pushed up on the sides and a big mushy hole in the center.
Posted via Mobile Device

TimberRidgeRanch 06-18-2013 06:39 PM

I have done stalls with a wheel barrel and tools after having a load of clay dumped. I always start from back of stalls to the door tamping it down as I go. I then invest in rubber mats. I feel that clay is best ( if not stone dust ) as it does not shift under the mats as sand would over time. Its hard work but the money you save after is well worth the sweat.

TRR

rallen9491 06-18-2013 07:08 PM

Yes we have tilled it up and have been tamping down dirt. We used rubber mats once before but I found that even with a good amount of shavings, my horses were slipping on the mats if they got even a little bit wet. Am I not using enough bedding? I was worried they would get hurt so we removed them and was looking for another option. Would like yours ideas on the process it would take to finish. Such as till, fill, tamp?

Taffy Clayton 06-18-2013 07:17 PM

Before I had mats, about every two years I added clay to the center of the stalls. I got a couple of neighbor boys and had a load of clay dumped. Just like TRR, we used a wheelbarrow and shovels. I didn't worry about too much tamping, the horses will do that for you. I tamped down moderatly but dodn't kill myself over it. I did have it mounded in the middle a bit, so when it was tamped down by the horse it was somewhat level. It was hard cleaning for the first week or so, but eventually it leveled out.