The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   herbal supplements...help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/herbal-supplements-help-215706/)

Wallaby 06-18-2013 06:08 PM

herbal supplements...help?

As many of you probably are familiar with, Lacey has a junk ton of health "issues." All of them are pretty under control right now thanks to the fact that I've finally figured out what seems to work for her.
She has ERU (moonblindness) so I have her basically on every anti-inflammatory I've gotten my hands on thus far (double-dose MSM, flax seeds, ACV, Devils Claw+Yucca), she's basically Insulin Resistant (untested, but she shows all the signs of it, so per the vet, I feed her like she is IR), as well as being 28 and getting the slightest bit "senile."
In terms of the IR, she's actually at a really great weight right now (wearing a grazing muzzle 9am-7pm everyday) but her neck is cresty and she definitely should not gain anymore. I'd say she's probably a 5.5 on the H scale (summer-Lacey is usually a 6.5 or 7).

Anyway, the things that work, when I buy the horse-branded supplements, are stupid expensive (mostly the Devils Claw and Yucca - $40 for 16oz of pellets!) and I am not made of money. Luckily I found a website where I can order most of the ingredients I need in bulk and have them be human-grade as well as MUCH cheaper. :D

"Unfortunately" that leads me to have more questions.
I started out with the sole intention of buying powdered Devils Claw and Yucca since that's what's in her daily pain supplement (for her eyes) and it works fantastically for her, without the side effects of bute (she goes nuts on bute - stays "sane" with DC+Y).

But THEN as I was looking through the "options" of things I could also order (I know, I know. Baaaad me. haha) I started seeing things like "Chaste Tree Berry" and "Slippery Elm" which I know I've read about being good for IR or ERU horses. Then, of course, I started wondering about what else might be good for her (at $10/lb for things you don't use more than 1/4 teaspoon/day of...I'm SO down)...and now I'm here to see if anyone knows anything.

Basically the qualities I'm interested in are: anti-inflammatory, pain relief, weight loss/stabilizing, immune boosting-ness (ERU is an auto-immune disease) and really anything that would help out general old lady stuff (one of her biggest issues is heat-regulation in the summer, she gets overheated in a snap).

Here's a link to the website/list in question:
Order page bulk herb and spice from Herbalcom.

See something on there that looks helpful? Tell me!!

I do plan to start her on Magnesium for her IR-ness but beyond that. Of course, I know that she's not going to live forever and that, at 28, she's had quite a long life...but I still want these years to be her most comfortable. She deserves it and if I can give that to her, you can bet I will.

Also, "Apple Cider Vinegar Powder"??? What is that? Would it be better than "Apple Cider [flavored] Vinegar"?

Thanks for reading this novel. You guys are the best. :)

jaydee 06-18-2013 06:23 PM

My husband works in R&D and a lot of these herbal things get brought up from time to time in one form or another and to be honest with you they mostly don't work.
In a recent Horse & Hound (top UK magazine) there was an article in the vet section where they had a group of horses on a herbal supplement (not named) and a group on a placebo, none knew what they were on and the positive results were much the same for both groups
Sometimes giving your horse these things just makes you feel better and you can convince yourself you are seeing effect
There are products that are trialed with real positive results but often the dose is so high you might as well get prescription meds.
If you feed your horse a good balanced diet with good hay and restricted grazing you will likely be doing her as much good.
Triple Crown do a Safe Starch forage that has all the vitamins, minerals & nutrients your horse probably needs, you can add their molasses free pellets to that or non molassed sugar beet or both. If her weight is down then Cool calories seems to be about the cheapest option for high fat content
Quiessence which is a magnesium and chromium supplement is giving good results in controlling IRS symptoms - I have been using it for a while now.
Don't forget that even herbal supplements can have side effects. I think this article covers most of the well known/commonly used ones
Equine Herbal Treatments

Wallaby 06-18-2013 06:35 PM

Thanks!
I do know that the DC+Y definitely has a positive effect on her. Same with the MSM. In both cases, her eyes swell up within a day if she misses a dose (she only needs about 4 pellets of the DC+Y for an obvious effect). The flax seed is a bit more "ehhhh" but, at the same time, she used to get infections of varying kinds alll the time, and in the year she's been on flax seed she's had 0 infections. Flax seed is an immune booster...so I guess I'm inclined to believe it.
But yeah, maybe I'll just stick with what I know, get the Devils Claw and Yucca, and not try anything more.

As far as mineral stuff, she's on Triple Crown 30% and so far the results have been better than any of the other RB's she's been on. I'm loving it!
She's not fed hay during the summer since her pasture is quite lush and she grazes all day with a grazing muzzle and all night sans grazing muzzle.

Thanks for the link! I appreciate your thoughts. :)

BlueSpark 06-18-2013 06:39 PM

herbal supplements DO work, I use them myself, on my dogs, including curing a case of chronic mange on a rescue, and one horses, most notably completely curing a mare the vet had condemned to die with a bone infection.

Echinacea, garlic, vitamin C are all immune boosters, apple cider vinegar, in liquid or powder form, is great for increasing natural bug resistance, increasing metabolism and calcium absorbing, among other things. peppermint is an anti inflammatory, aloe vera is soothing and healing(many cases of ulcers in ottbs cured with this).

jaydee 06-18-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 2835642)
herbal supplements DO work, I use them myself, on my dogs, including curing a case of chronic mange on a rescue, and one horses, most notably completely curing a mare the vet had condemned to die with a bone infection.

Echinacea, garlic, vitamin C are all immune boosters, apple cider vinegar, in liquid or powder form, is great for increasing natural bug resistance, increasing metabolism and calcium absorbing, among other things. peppermint is an anti inflammatory, aloe vera is soothing and healing(many cases of ulcers in ottbs cured with this).

I didn't say that all 'natural remedies don't work - remember that we have prescription medications that are plant based but a lot of herbal supplements sold can become unstable and lose effectiveness if not fresh
Garlic has been used in the UK for a long time for deterring biting insects but if fed in too large amounts can also be dangerous. Vitamin C is a not classed as herbal in its pure form as its a concentrate extract from some source - fruit or vegetable. All vinegars are acidics and also should be fed with caution as they can cause stomach ulcers
Penicillin was derived from a mold and Honey works as an antibiotic/antibacterial because it breaks down to become Hydrogen peroxide when it comes in contact with body fluids
My advice was to approach these things with caution, particularly the latest fads as they can be expensive and not always of any use at all
The Hydrogen Peroxide Producing Capacity of Honey | PRLog