The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Suspicious bag of beet pulp (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/suspicious-bag-beet-pulp-215946/)

Lonannuniel 06-19-2013 12:10 AM

Suspicious bag of beet pulp

I opened a new bag of beet pulp and dumped it into a bin a few days ago, and I didn't notice anything odd. I took a few handfuls from the top each night for feeding, then closed it up until next time. Today, I did a bit of digging through and found some lighter coloured powder and these little hard white granules mixed into the feed. Has anyone found the same thing in their feed bag? Should I be concerned? Opinions? I didn't notice the same thing in my last bag, so not sure what to think.

Here are the white granules:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/p..._elf/image.jpg

Here is the powder ( I know there is usually powder in the bags from the beet pulp, but this stuff looked too light to be that):

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/p.../new/image.jpg

alexischristina 06-19-2013 12:22 AM

I would stop feeding and contact the store you bought it from to see if there's been a grain recall, or if they know what it is / how it got in your feed / if anyone else has found it too. Ask them to open up some other bags and see if it's got any in it.

Trinity3205 06-19-2013 09:45 PM

That almost looks like fertilizer. O.O. Does it dissolve in water? Id take it in and show someone. Not normal.

NorthernMama 06-19-2013 10:17 PM

That's really odd. I also would stop feeding and take it back to the store.

walkinthewalk 06-19-2013 10:40 PM

Hrmph, just lost my post.

Ditto the other posters - take the bag back but not before you grab some of that stuff up in a ziplock bag and send it for testing.

If EquiAnalytical can't test it, I'm sure they can tell you who can. It does look like fertilizer, now that someone has mentioned it. I'd want to know what that is, then call the company that bagged it and raise h**l

Equi-analytical Laboratories - Profiling Feed for Better Nutrition

Lonannuniel 06-21-2013 03:43 PM

Yes! They do dissolve in water (they foam very slightly before dissolving completely)

I did take quite a large sample of the stuff, but am unsure about taking the rest back to the store, as it's not in the original bag ( I still have the original bag, but the feed was dumped into a bin after I got it). Will there be any problems with this? Or are feed stores ( UFA ) fairly lenient with returns like this?

Trinity3205 06-21-2013 09:43 PM

mmmm....Id still show them. I think its fertilizer till proven otherwise. idk what else would look like that.

walkinthewalk 06-22-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonannuniel (Post 2858858)
Yes! They do dissolve in water (they foam very slightly before dissolving completely)

I did take quite a large sample of the stuff, but am unsure about taking the rest back to the store, as it's not in the original bag ( I still have the original bag, but the feed was dumped into a bin after I got it). Will there be any problems with this? Or are feed stores ( UFA ) fairly lenient with returns like this?

Most folks do dump their feeds into a feed bin, so I would bag it back up into the original bag, if you still have it.

It doesn't matter if they want to take the bag back or not - take it back BUT:

There's a fine line when asking/demanding your money back in a situation like this. While you have to walk in with a "I am NOT happy about this" attitude, you still have to maintain a huge degree of being respectful and polite -- none of this was the fault of the store owner or the employees, unless they made the feed.

I've taken more than one bad bag of feed back, thru the years, and got my money back.

If there's a number on the original bag, call that number as they are the people you need to talk to. If there isn't a number, look them up on the internet; you'll find a phone number somewhere in Cyber space:-)

If you don't get whatever that is analyzed before calling, I would certainly let the company know "it's in a ziplock bag, ready to be sent for analysis" and see what they say.

The more you "sound" like you know what you're talking about, while being firm, polite and respectful, the more attention the manufacturer will pay to you.

Be as polite as you can, no matter how much it kills you. Mom drilled into my head "you can catch a lot more flies with honey than you can with vinegar" That's been tough sometimes, but it does pay off:-P

acorn 06-22-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity3205 (Post 2845666)
That almost looks like fertilizer. O.O. Does it dissolve in water? Id take it in and show someone. Not normal.

That is what it looks like to me, too! YIKES! Looks like nitrogen.

GamingGrrl 06-22-2013 11:06 AM

Subbing because I'm curious about what the heck that stuff is!
Posted via Mobile Device