The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Sale horse - Video (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/sale-horse-video-216082/)

Starlite 06-19-2013 11:24 AM

Sale horse - Video

Hi all. Just came across this mare for sale. 9 year old Dutch mare. Seems like a good mind, and I don't hate her...she is behind the leg, and issues with seeking the contact but that may be more the rider than the mare. What do you guys see?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=lG9CZ9U_gGk#!

Here she is moving at liberty, shows her gates a little better.

Elana 06-19-2013 01:02 PM

I like her. She needs a bit more leg on her.. but nice horse. she can and does hold her head a bit higher and raise the root of her neck here and there.

I suspect a stronger leg and less contact would help her a bit.

Starlite 06-19-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 2841730)
I like her. She needs a bit more leg on her.. but nice horse. she can and does hold her head a bit higher and raise the root of her neck here and there.

I suspect a stronger leg and less contact would help her a bit.

Yes, her under-neck is very well muscled :shock::D

tinyliny 06-19-2013 01:52 PM

i can agree with the rider, or maybe even the saddle, shortening her. But, even in the free jump video, she doesn't step under herself much with the hind. After the first jump it looks a bit like she has her hind legs movig together, in a tiny bit of a hop.

Weezilla 06-19-2013 02:53 PM

I see an inexperienced dressage rider; I suspect she's a convert from hunt seat, and she doesn't have the tools in her toolbox yet to make the most of this mare. The mare looks to have a fair bit of schooling, since she leg yields from the quarter line without any fuss-not correctly, but she knows what those aids mean. Her simple changes also show experience, and I suspect she has single changes.

What I'd like to know is how long this owner has had her, since her topline is gone and neck muscles are upside down. (Did she ever have a neck?) She is broken at the 3rd vertebrae and BTV, showing that she's been asked to be in a frame before she has developed pushing power. That is unfortunate, but what I do like is that when the rider gets it right, she has moments of stretching honestly without curling. Her stride opened up considerably during the little stretching done in the first video, tracking up nicely, though got short again with lack of impulsion and riding corners in balance.

Her trot tracks up and she has great rhythm, with a softly swaying tail. I like her canter when it is forward and the tiny bit of walk under saddle showed overtrack. You can develop a trot, but you must buy a walk and a canter.

What do you know about her? Price?

The BTV thing can be fixed barring any physical issues, but it will take some dedicated work and a great eye on the ground. For the right price it may be worth the work!

Starlite 06-19-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weezilla (Post 2842706)
I see an inexperienced dressage rider; I suspect she's a convert from hunt seat, and she doesn't have the tools in her toolbox yet to make the most of this mare.

Yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weezilla (Post 2842706)
What I'd like to know is how long this owner has had her, since her topline is gone and neck muscles are upside down. (Did she ever have a neck?)

I don't know anything about her..haven't spoke with the owner at all. Her price is 10k. Which is (for me) A LOT of money. When I see videos of horses I like I send them to my trainer. Since I have been on here the last couple of days I thought I'd let you all take a look and share your thoughts. Your post was really helpful and informative!

As far as her top line goes..I noticed this too, and thought she looked like a pregnant broodmare. You attribute this to just being under muscled?

Weezilla 06-19-2013 04:44 PM

Being a broodmare for a while could explain the lack of conditioning for sure, but do they say she's preggers? Those vids were filmed in March - if so, maybe its a twofer?!:-)

Ten grand, huh? Now I'm REALLY curious as to her background.

A video was posted recently in Dressage that nicely addresses the retraining of an overflexed BTV horse. Let me find it for you. You can get an idea of what will need to be done if you buy her.

Got it!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zGVXS...layer_embedded

Starlite 06-19-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weezilla (Post 2843474)
Being a broodmare for a while could explain the lack of conditioning for sure, but do they say she's preggers? Those vids were filmed in March - if so, maybe its a twofer?!:-)

Ten grand, huh? Now I'm REALLY curious as to her background.

A video was posted recently in Dressage that nicely addresses the retraining of an overflexed BTV horse. Let me find it for you. You can get an idea of what will need to be done if you buy her.

Got it!

YouTube

In my area, anything that is a warmblood that has spent a year with a professional is at least $10,000. At least that is what I have found so far. I am new to the area (been here a year). It is a tough market for a girl on a budget ;)

Weezilla 06-19-2013 06:13 PM

Do you know the registered or show name, or owner's name? You can check to see if she/they have a show record.

USDF Dressage Scores from CenterlineScores.com