The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Fly Mask Alterations? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/fly-mask-alterations-216490/)

karliejaye 06-19-2013 09:29 PM

Fly Mask Alterations?

Poor Cruiser is getting a sunburned nose and spf 70 clear zinc paste isn't even helping. I was thinking about altering his fly mask to make it into a long nose variation using an old fly mask he ripped the velcro off of last season.

Has anyone else ever made alterations to a fly mask like this? If so, any pointers?

Speed Racer 06-20-2013 02:25 PM

They sell long nosed fly masks. No need to make a Franken-mask.

Shoebox 06-20-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 2850290)
They sell long nosed fly masks. No need to make a Franken-mask.

True, but no need to spend the money on a new one if you can repurpose one.

Wallaby 06-20-2013 03:10 PM

I make my own flymasks for my girl (she needs one with 90% UV blocking, those are super expensive to buy and way cheaper to make...etc haha) and this is the stuff I use:

Phifer - Design Fabrics

It's exactly the same as flymask material you would get with any flymask...plus pretty colors! haha

Anyway, one thing you might want to make sure of is that the fabric you're planning to use is UV blocking (I've found that the tighter weave to the cloth mean the more UV it blocks). Not all flymask material does block UV and I imagine that's probably the big issue for white noses.

Good luck! Flymasks are easier than they look. :)

Saddlebag 06-20-2013 04:12 PM

What a good idea! Please post a pic on the finished product. As long as it works the horse doesn't care how fancy it looks.

karliejaye 06-20-2013 11:56 PM

Luckily I had 5 (five!!!!!!) spare flymasks with varying degrees of wear. So I made an expended nose, but alas, I did a poor sewing job and it fell off in one day. I knew it wouldn't last, it was more tacked on to see the fit. When I get it appropriately secured I will post pictures.
Wallaby: I have always thought they looked simple to make, but didn't know where to find the fabric.
Speedracer: I am aware of the pre-made long nose masks and almost got one, but I believe in frugality and not wasting what I already have. Pretty is as pretty does :)