The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   horse wont canter on the right lead (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-wont-canter-right-lead-216546/)

Ijones 06-19-2013 10:33 PM

horse wont canter on the right lead

I have been having trouble getting my haflinger to canter on the right lead. she does ok cantering on the left lead but gets agitated and wants to stop as soon as we come around a turn. She wont canter at all on the right. I have tried a few different things but none seem to work. I would love some advice!! thanks!

Skyseternalangel 06-19-2013 10:39 PM

Have you tried this on the lungeline? Is she the same way?

If so something could be making her stiffer that direction. The best thing to do is check to see if she's tight or sore anywhere on the left side (since right lead means the left side is being stretched.) If she is, it could be that she needs more suppling exercises, but be careful.

GamingGrrl 06-19-2013 10:39 PM

Does she canter on the lunge fine? How's her saddle fit?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ijones 06-19-2013 10:47 PM

she has had a stiff neck in the past and I do try stretching her before rides. I do not have access to a round pen and have to lunge in the pasture ( which is pretty hilly) so it is hard to lunge her and I don't do it to often but when I do its usually just walk trot. she has trouble breaking into the canter a lot. thanks for the advice!!

Skyseternalangel 06-19-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ijones (Post 2846202)
she has had a stiff neck in the past and I do try stretching her before rides. I do not have access to a round pen and have to lunge in the pasture ( which is pretty hilly) so it is hard to lunge her and I don't do it to often but when I do its usually just walk trot. she has trouble breaking into the canter a lot. thanks for the advice!!

You don't have an indoor/outdoor arena in which to ride?

GamingGrrl 06-19-2013 11:00 PM

Not having an arena is more common than you'd think, I keep my horses at home and only have fields to work in.

OP, can you have her seen by a Chiro? Or massage therapist?
Posted via Mobile Device

existentialpony 06-19-2013 11:06 PM

Always stretch a warm horse-- it'll be more productive. :) I say chiro/massage and lots of lateral exercises to get your horse bending and stretching. When you ask for the canter, tip your horse's nose to the inside and make sure that you open your inside hip and sink on your outside seatbone.

The big question for me is whether or not your horse picks up the correct lead on a lunge line?

Sunny 06-19-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by existentialpony (Post 2846346)

The big question for me is whether or not your horse picks up the correct lead on a lunge line?

What would it indicate if the horse only picked up the left lead in the round pen, too?

I had this exact same problem, same lead and everything. My mare would pick up the wrong lead in the round pen and the would eventually do a flying change.

After a tack change I can now get her to pick it up under saddle, but most days it takes 4-5 tries before she gets it.

existentialpony 06-19-2013 11:24 PM

If it's a fundamental body issue (muscle soreness, in need of an adjustment, a health problem like arthritis or lameness, etc) I wouldn't expect the horse to be able to pick up the lead in a round pen all of the time. If the horse picks it up in the round pen just fine every time, but can't under saddle... this says that the problem relates to the rider or the action of riding. For example, poor saddle fit, horse is imbalanced by the weight of a rider (either because they lack the muscle to balance with a rider on board or the rider is throwing the horse off balance), a health problem is exacerbated by the weight of a rider, and things like that.

In most of these situations, the problem relates to stiffness (inability to stretch on one side) anyway! For example, my gelding couldn't pick up the left lead under saddle but picked it up on his own in the round pen just fine. Turned out that he was inadequately muscled/balanced so that with a rider, he just couldn't do it as easily. My solution was to really really collect him up right before the transition, and if I collected him properly, he'd pick up the lead without issue. I also found that he was stiff going to the left, so we did a lot of bending and lateral work, and I'd make sure that he was well-warmed up before cantering. After a while working in that way, he built the muscle and balance to pick up the left lead without the conscientious effort of super-collecting him every single time. But, we still work on stretching out that stiff side!

Ijones 06-20-2013 02:38 PM

thanks for all the advice everybody! she has been worked in a roundpen before and and i took lessons with her for awhile. she cantered on the right lead just fine today by herself in the pasture so it is obviously something i am doing. i will dewfinitly work on my riding skills and see what i am doing wrong! thanks!