The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Recommend a saddle pad for older horse with diminished topline? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/recommend-saddle-pad-older-horse-diminished-216714/)

lilypoo 06-20-2013 01:36 AM

Recommend a saddle pad for older horse with diminished topline?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm considering a couple:

Classic Equine BioFit Correction Saddle Pad - Horse.com

Reinsman Navajo Comfort Flex Pad - Horse.com

Any others I should be looking at? Really need to keep it under $200; less is better. :) The second one is half the price so it's appealing in that respect.

Thanks! :D

Saddlebag 06-20-2013 08:28 AM

If you already have a pad, look into a 1/2" wool felt under pad. I like the natural colored ones as they are pure wool. With wool as the horse sweats it will conform a bit to his back.

lilypoo 06-21-2013 05:04 PM

Thanks! I do have a pad but it's made out of that rubbery, shelf-lining material and doesn't seem to have any extra support where he's lacking fat/muscle. I'd be willing to sell it and get something better, for sure. The barn manager and assistant are now saying they don't think I should even try to ride him till he gets some muscle up there.

HnA Tack 06-29-2013 02:16 PM

How old is the horse? Is your saddle fit causing the atrophy in his back? When was the last time he was dewormed & with what? I am thinking maybe a "diet" change/health care/saddle fit issue might help the problem to start with, but your answers might prove me all wrong, LOL!

adding: I would not go w/2 pads ... if there is a saddle fit issue, adding another pad will only make that worse & cause him to "sink" away more from the pressure & cause more dip/atrophy.

lilypoo 06-30-2013 06:02 AM

He's anywhere from 18-28 depending on who you ask. ;)

I have the saddle that was used on him but never have put it on him. I just assume it fits poorly since he has some scars from rubbing. He's been ridden bareback by my kids and farrier.

He's been dewormed with a couple different things but hadn't been dewormed in a loooong time when I bought him two weeks ago. We're starting a good rotational schedule. I have an Ivermectin but he's very headshy/mouthshy so I need help giving it to him.

Definitely has diet issues. Baaaad teeth and was on pasture and alfalfa. I have him on Equine Senior, extra beet pulp, corn oil and vitality supplement. Planning to switch to hydration hay and/or hay cubes or pellets from the grass and alfalfa hay he gets (and can't chew).

He's gained over 50# since I got him but it's all going to his belly and not the top line.

PaintedMare 07-03-2013 08:52 PM

Once you think he is healthy enough start working him slowly with lunging and other exercises. The top line may come up with that. It looks like just from muscle loss. If he is put on a regular workout plan then the muscle should build back up. If you already have a saddle pad I would buy a foam pad riser that you put under it . Stateline tack has them . :) besides the muscle loss on top he's looking good for his age. I'm sure you'll have him in top shape in no time. Good luck

lilypoo 07-04-2013 06:11 AM

Thank you!