The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Sports boot question (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/sports-boot-question-21675/)

lgrides 01-28-2009 03:29 PM

Sports boot question

Has anyone used sports boots on gaited horses. I have a 17 yr singlefoot mare that has some small windpuffs on her back fetlocks and the farrier said they might help support her when we ride. I've never seen them on a gaited horse so hence my question. Singlefoots use their feet different than most gaited horses. I'm the only one around here that has one and I ask this thru email but got no answer. Hate to buy them and it not work on her but might anyway. We trail ride and hope to get back to it regularly soon.

g8ted4me 01-29-2009 09:35 AM

I had a friend with a Peruvian Paso gelding that was very wind puffy and having dsld trouble in the fronts. The vet recommended trying sport boots to help support the front legs and put less pressure on his ligaments/tendons, ect. Well the restriction of the horses "normal" movement made him over do it and he pulls a bunch of muscles in his chest and neck trying to over compensate. She never put the boots back on him. I am not sure if the hinds would have the same reaction as typically the action was in the front.
I honestly don't know if it would help or make matters worse. What is the root of the wind puffs- arthritis or something else?

toosleepy 01-29-2009 01:42 PM

My friend uses the professional choice splint boots on both of her walkers with out problem. The elite are the most plyable

lgrides 01-29-2009 10:11 PM

g8ted4me, the vet seem to think it is arthritis. I raised this mare and have rode her a lot in the past few yrs on some long trail rides as we love to horse camp. As I said she is 17 yrs old so I guess this is to be expected. She loves to gait fast, and is competitive with other horses when we ride. Also I do have her on a joint supplement. I just wondered if the support would be better for her.
I will get the best brand and I read the elite in professional choice was the best buy.

g8ted4me 01-30-2009 01:12 PM

I really hope that it works for her. Please let me know.