The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo - Your thoughts?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JustDressageIt 
#1 ·
I replied to an add a couple days ago for a 7yr TB gelding. Hes located within at least 10min from my house and he honestly sounds a great horse to start training with. Apparently he was completely broken at one point but the owner can no longer ride and hasn't ridden him in a year. This way I wont be starting completely from scratch, I can just focus on maybe finishing him instead! =D

Here is his add.

Thoroughbred Horse for Sale in Davenport, Florida

Here is the owners last reply:

Apollo is still for sale at the moment.
His ground manners are impeccable. He is by far the most well behaved horse I have ever owned or even been around. He did some basic parelli last year and knows his ground cues, lowers his head, and backs. He is great for the farrier, you can clip his face and ears--he doesn't mind in the least. I seldom even use a halter on him--he follows verbal command like a champ.
He was at one point completely saddle broke, walk, trot, canter. He loved trails and I was lunging him over jumps regularly, but due to my physical health I stopped riding him last year. He is very spoiled and needs someone to work him consistently and finish his training, that's why I have his price so low. I am looking for a forever home with someone who has the resources/time to ride him and pay attention to him. He is absolutely gorgeous, full mane and tail, barefoot, easy keeper. He would be an amazing show horse. Good home a must.
Please feel free to call or email with any other questions, I have more pics if interested.
Thank you,
Bethany

See less See more
#2 ·
I actually really really like this horse. He's gorgeous, has nice conformation (although I think a bit over at the knee), looks very willing and the owner sounds like she really cares about him. I think in this situation, since he needs some work, a possible question to ask yourself is, "am I the right person for this horse?" He seems wonderful, but do you have the time to work with him every day and the knowledge and experience and train him to what he should be? Sorry if this sounds kinda harsh, but it sounds like the owner really wants a long-time owner who can train him and possible transform him into a successful showhorse. Not saying that you can't do that or aren't that person, but it's just something to consider. I would definitely check him out though. He looks like a dream, really. Make sure to have a knowledgeable friend/trainer accompany you when you visit.

Hope this helps!

#3 ·
Hehe its okay, I don't mind it! I won't be training him on my own, my instructor will be training him and I will be assisting. Since the boarding barn is only about 10-15min away from work and home, it shouldn't be a problem to go out there everyday. For me, he will probably just end up being a nice trail horse that I may try to jump. She said that hes done well on trails so that's a big plus.

#4 ·
I too like him. The fact that he was completely broken and has just had time off, doesn't mean that greenbroke (like she has in her ad)
Once you start working him him and bonding with him, everything should come back to him.

Since you are going to have a trainer helping you, see if you two can come up with a written plan as to what to do with him (when she's not around)

I would go take a look at him, and what had worked for me, was to expect the worse with everything, and when you see that the horse is better than that, then it sort of helps.

btw, my qh, wasn't ridden in about 4 years until I got him. We still have things to work on, but it's nice because the horse has a memory of what has been done, but all it takes is just finding that information and pulling it out.

#5 ·
He is definitely very handsome, but he's got some huge withers on him. It may or may not be hard to fit a saddle to him properly. Perhaps he'll look a little more "even" with his haunches and withers once he's being worked regularly and has some real muscle in that butt. ^_^ The uphill build is certainly desireable in english horses, but he may be a little on the extreme side. It doesn't really mean he's bad -- he actually looks a heck of a lot like my TB x Warmblood mare and she's wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.