The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Kentucky Mountain Horse Gaits&Animation (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/kentucky-mountain-horse-gaits-animation-216842/)

xoxosalem 06-20-2013 12:42 PM

Kentucky Mountain Horse Gaits&Animation

I was wondering how I could get more animation into his gaits. Right now he does a slow gait but I want to teach him to do a show gait. He knows walk and slow gait. I need tips on training him, he's only 5 and has good comformation. I show, but need help on learning and teaching him the show gait.
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 06-20-2013 12:47 PM

I thought Kentucky Mountain Horses were shown naturally?

xoxosalem 06-20-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasgal (Post 2850074)
I thought Kentucky Mountain Horses were shown naturally?

They are; but I want to get into park classes in saddleseat and my farrer was saying today about the gaits and such.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 06-20-2013 02:32 PM

I own two KMH's. I don't show BUT, the very best way to control transitions between gaits is to Dressage your KMH. JUST LIKE training a non-gaited horse, it's all about collection, light aids, and using half-halts, until your horse is calm, obedient and responsive. You do NOT set their heads, you do NOT want your KMH to lean on the bit, and you don't force their frame. Some people, unfortunately, train that way, but it doesn't make for a happy horse.
There is a site for Dressaging gaited horses you can look up called-
United States Gaited Horse Dressage Foundation
Hope this helps you. =D

bbsmfg3 06-20-2013 06:10 PM

Are you really sure you want to ruin this horse's easy, slow gait. That's exactly what you'll do if you force/train the animated high stepping gait.
If this horse's signature gait is the easy movin slow gait, and you force the animated gait, very, very, few of them can come back.

As cheap as horses are, and if this horse truly has a nice slow gait, you should consider a different horse for this venture.

You can do what your asking, BUT the likely hood of producing a winner is slim to none. Each horses has their own signature gait. When you force them to something foreign to them, they never compete well against those with a natural signature gait that's animated.

Macslady 06-22-2013 05:45 PM

The KMSHA has a great amount of shows, most of them in the KY area. Are you going to travel for showing? If you aren't traveling are you planning on showing open against other gaiteds, if this is the case the judge should be knowledgeable enough to realize the type gait your horse will do. Most park classes the horses aren't "trained" to do the show gait, they are born with it naturally and the horses that don't lift as high are used for trail. None of the breeders who show I know use any training aids.