The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Need input on Friesan Mare.. (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/need-input-friesan-mare-216978/)

cowgirlnay 06-20-2013 05:27 PM

Need input on Friesan Mare..

1 Attachment(s)
I will start off by giving you the history behind this mare:

My grandpa, bless his heart, is at the start of Alzheimers, and does not think very realistically. He got it in his head that he wanted to learn how to drive a cart. We grew up with Quarter Horses only, and he has never done driving in his life, or even hooked a horse up to a cart for that matter. He also has no experience with draft horses. And he's on the verge of going blind, so could not see to navigate a cart in the first place.

Anyways, my grandpa trusts everyone. You could probably sell him a rock if you told him it was the best rock ever found. So once he got the idea that he wanted to learn how to drive, he came across a man who owns Friesans, and has a couple that are trained to drive. This man sounded a little sketchy from the start, but I had no say in it. So my grandpa buys this 1/2 Freisan mare that is supposedly broke to drive, ride, etc....He paid $5500 for her, and was also told she was bred.

She has been sitting at his place for the last year. It is now obvious she was in fact NOT bred. We had a horseman friend of our come out and mess with her and put a harness on her and all that, and she is very obviously green. She's very spooky, and is definitely not very far in her driving training at all. My grandpa never asked to see her actually work before he bought her, so completely got taken advantage of.

Anyways, he has finally started to come around to the fact that he is not going to be able to work with her. She is way too much horse for him. She needs work, she is a little pushy on the ground (and very destructive!), and obviously needs more training if she were to be pulling a cart.

How do I go about pricing her? Anyone have an estimate? I know that we obviously probably won't get $5500 back out of her, but I have only ever dealt with selling Quarter Horses, so I have no idea what 1/2 registered Freisans go for. Especially if they need additional training. I just don't know how to advertise her...Any input is appreciated!
Attachment 215802

(This picture was taken the day we took her off pasture and dry lotted her - we realized she was not pregnant, but in fact just getting very very fat.)

Left Hand Percherons 06-22-2013 01:51 PM

Really it's impossible for use to know. How strong is the horse market around you? She could very well fetch $5K even in her current state. There is a strong Friesian community in the S Seattle area. The pictures don't show much about her or how she's bred. Are you willing to make her more marketable and put some time and work into her? Can you hire your friend to put 30 days on her? If you don't have the $$, create a contract where he is paid or gets a % when she sells. She's worth more now than in 4 months going into winter without additional training.

xXcre8tiveXx 08-19-2013 12:03 AM

Ive seen FM go for like 6000 on craigslist. what is her other half?

hemms 08-19-2013 02:56 AM

In our area, if you wanted to move her rather than sit on her for months, you'd have to price at $500 - $800. What I see is a barely broke draftX pasture ornament.
Posted via Mobile Device

Equitazione 08-21-2013 05:46 PM

Well in my opinion it ranges, i hvae to be honest with her confirmation i dont see 5500, she is green, not spesilised in anything . If i was you get a shire! however i own a friesian mare who was imported from holland and bred from very top friesians so we paid something like 12-15,000 pounds however this is a friesian that is not got history etc. I would price at 2000-3000 Thats also because she is a cross. Most Pure Friesian mares go for around 5-8,000 ( with no high stallion or mother)

Speed Racer 08-21-2013 05:49 PM

So what you have is a grade draft cross with no training. $500 to maybe $1,000, but that would be on the high end.

Endiku 08-21-2013 06:54 PM

Depending on her other half, despite technically only being a grade, she may very well fetch at least half of what your grandpa paid for her. For whatever reason people are much more willing to pay good money for Friesian crosses than other mutts in my area, even though most of them are ugly.

Country Woman 08-25-2013 03:26 PM

I am sorry your grandpa got taken
not fair

cowgirlnay 09-25-2013 01:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
UPDATE:
We has a friend take "Bonnie" for a couple weeks and ride her, and it appears that she is green broke. Did great to saddle, never offeredt o buck, but is green. Finally got her papers from my grandpa. She is only 4 yrs old, and is registered with the Friesian Sport Horse Registry. Only her sire's side is known. She is 50% Friesian. I got better pictures of her yesterday, and am selling her as green broke, for $4,000 or best offer. She ties, trims, and hauls very well.
Attachment 288962

Attachment 288970

Attachment 288978

Dustbunny 09-25-2013 02:22 PM

She looks a lot better the recent photos! She's a hunky but pretty girl.
Thank goodness you have proof of breed-x and her age.
I'm sorry about Grandpa...tough deal.