The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Breastplate Advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/breastplate-advice-217066/)

Juliad 06-20-2013 07:09 PM

Breastplate Advice

Ever since I got my pony I have wanted a breast plate:) The saddle does not slip back but I LOVE the look. His old owner used one on him but she did go up to Novice with him. I am doing Starter divisions right now but I am hoping to move up to Beginner Novice next season. When I move to Beginner Novice would it be necessary? I know you do go up and down banks and thats probably when it would be needed most. Any thoughts?
Any reviews on different brands?
If I got one it would be a 3 point
Elastic or all Leather? And why?

Saskia 06-20-2013 10:13 PM

If you don't need one then you don't need one. Many people compete at high levels without them.

However it wouldn't really impede the horse in any way, so if you wanted to wear one just because you like them, then go ahead. When I used to do jumping a lot of people would use elastic ones because they have more give.

Allison Finch 06-20-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 2853914)
If you don't need one then you don't need one. Many people compete at high levels without them.

However it wouldn't really impede the horse in any way, so if you wanted to wear one just because you like them, then go ahead. When I used to do jumping a lot of people would use elastic ones because they have more give.

I disagree. I think that everyone who events should use them, at least on XC. They are a piece of SAFETY equipment. I had a prelim hardheaded student who didn't want one on his horse. No reason other than to rebel against my advice. He went to his first full three day event and his saddle slipped over a big jump. You simply don't want to have such a tight girth that the horse can't breathe and the saddle WILL slip someday.

There are many designs that don't impede the shoulder movement. And, it is really not that common to see anyone on XC at the upper levels who don't have one on. Personally, I used a hunting breastplate on stable saddles but really like the five point breastplates for the ultimate in security.

Heck, I never went intermediate or above without an overgirth.

NaeNae87 06-21-2013 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juliad (Post 2852538)
Any reviews on different brands?
If I got one it would be a 3 point
Elastic or all Leather? And why?

Regardless of the brand, it needs to fit correctly. :)

As has been stated before, it's a piece of safety equipment, not a fashion accessory. It's job is to be there to prevent the saddle from slipping if it is needed.

I use a racing breastplate on my gelding. I like how it attaches to the girth points of his saddle. He is quite narrow chested so I really struggled to find a 3 point to fit him.

My OTTB has an elastic one. It fits him better than some of the leather ones I tried on him. That is the reason I bought the one I did.

See if you can try a few different ones. Borrow friends or ask shops if you can return, should they not fit. :)

Juliad 06-21-2013 09:02 AM

Thank you guys so much! I think I will go with a hunting breastplate and I will definitely ask if I can return it if the size isn't right.

Allison Finch 06-21-2013 03:43 PM

Look for a breastplate that is fully adjustable. The neck straps will have buckles to adjust the size of the neck.

http://www.countrysupplies.com/pix/1...cts/6271-m.jpg

Make sure you get a running attachment, if you have a choice of one that comes with it. Standing martingales are illegal in eventing.

I often find that the piece that goes between the front legs to the girth are way too long and often need to be tailored. While my schooling breastplates all have rein snaps on the saddle connections, these snaps are a weak point. My competition breastplates never have the snaps (at least at the higher levels). You just have to buckle each time.

NelBell 06-23-2013 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it's important to ALWAYS have a breastplate when jumping anything BN and above.. whether it's stadium or cross country. I personally have a breastplate like this:http://taylormadetoo.files.wordpress...collar-pic.jpg
It's a Nunn Finer Jumping Breastcollar
It doesn't limit my horse in ANY way, and it's both leather and elastic. They also come in different colors which can be fun for XCountry :-)

Also you can put your number your breastplate, which i think just adds a little more character in the ring, like this: :wink:
Attachment 217546