The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   5 star saddle pads (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/5-star-saddle-pads-217202/)

joseeandjade11 06-21-2013 12:56 AM

5 star saddle pads

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone here has a 3/4'' and a 7/8'' 5 star pad that could show me a picture of the thickness to compare them both. I've never seen or felt one before and i want to get one because i hear extremely positive comments about then but i'm debating between the 3/4 and the 7/8 but without seeing them it's hard to choose!

Just want to see pics of the thickness to compare before ordering online ;)

Thanks in advance!!

gigem88 06-21-2013 08:50 AM

I only have the 7/8 pad, but they are the Cadillacs of saddle pads.

lkjhorse927 06-21-2013 04:22 PM

My mom has a tack shop and they have 5 Star Pads.... Just like gigem88 said, they are VERY high quality pads.

franknbeans 06-21-2013 05:23 PM

I only have a 3/4". Not that big a difference either way, IMO. Are you going to use a pad over it? That was why I went with the 3/4". I use a "pretty " pad over it and they are about 1/4" thick.

joseeandjade11 06-21-2013 07:08 PM

I do have a beautiful teal Showman blanket that i would like to put on top from time to time. I will probably use it more alone then with the blanket. Franknbeans, is it possible to have a picture taken to see the thickness of the pad please if you can or don't mind? ;)

beau159 06-21-2013 07:09 PM

I've got a 1/2" and I LOVE it.

franknbeans 06-21-2013 08:35 PM

I will try, but it is 3/4" thick. Same as on a ruler, but I will try tomorrow. I debated thicknesses too, but was told (by 2 really good sources)that over 3/4 was probably too thick to use with a blanket and I use them about 90% of the time. I also have butterfly shape-not sure if that makes a difference, but I love it, since I have a reiningsaddle and the pad matches the shape.

trailhorserider 06-22-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 2860466)
I debated thicknesses too, but was told (by 2 really good sources)that over 3/4 was probably too thick to use with a blanket and I use them about 90% of the time.

I think it depends on how wide your saddle is compared to your horse. I have one which I believe is 3/4" that I use with a single layer Mayatex blanket all the time. But now that you mention it, I have never actually measured it, so maybe I should to that. (I got it second hand from a friend). My friend is using 1" right now alone, and I DO think that 1" is too thick to use with a blanket.

I am 90% sure I am using a 3/4" right now with a blanket. The blankets come in different thicknesses too. Take a single layer Mayatex blanket for example. They come in 4 and 5 lb varieties. The 5 lbs are thicker than the 4 lb blankets. And then I have seen some really, really, thin navajo blankets as well. So thin they don't offer much padding value. So you can take that into consideration too.

The way I look at it, most western saddle pads are at least an inch thick anyway. So if I am using a 3/4" pad with a 1/2" thick blanket (and I doubt any of them are as thick as 1/2 inch), then I have a 1 1/4" thick padding system all together. My saddles tend to have generous shoulder room though. If your saddle barely has room for your horse's shoulders then probably want to go thinner.

joseeandjade11 06-22-2013 05:49 PM

Yes i have taken into consideration the blanket thickness which is why i do not want a 1'' thick but will go with a 3/4 or 7/8. It's just really hard to choose when you haven't seen them at all... my blanket is probably half an inch in thickness, not 100% sure! Im just worried if I order the 3/4 and then be disappointed that i should have taken the 7/8 instead
My saddle is a lil bit too wide but planning on getting a new one at the end of the summer i just really really need a pad now

joseeandjade11 06-22-2013 05:50 PM

My mare has flat shoulders and is really hard to fit so buying a new saddle is quite the frustration