The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberwick Bits

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  unclearthur 
#1 ·
Probably opening a can of worms, because my research has seen a lot of grumpy people who absolutely hate this bit for no stated reason. So I'm curious as to what YOU guys have to say about them and why. Don't just say you hate it or you don't mind it if you haven't got a reason :wink:

I know it acts as a leverage bit or can act as a snaffle, and is often stuck on naughty ponies as an extra set of brakes. But what else? It has to have a purpose as a training aid under all the misuse, right?

#3 ·
I have 2 horses that really like a kimberwicke. One has a half moon mouth and the other copper roller. Both horses go in a snaffle but the kimberwicke allows for more subtle cues so I can concentrate on using my seat, weight, legs while keeping my hands very still. If I am schooling for something I haven't refined yet, I use a snaffle.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
We used to use them on ponies, years ago, for extra control. Usually with a vulcanite mouthpiece, which you don't often see nowadays. They're quite strong bits but with a plain mouth (just a tongue groove) give children (or small adults) that extra bit of control. And we never had one give a pony a sore mouth, so they're quite forgiving of accidental heavy hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.