The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   barrel racing tips (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-racing-tips-217322/)

rednecklove 06-21-2013 07:09 AM

barrel racing tips

Hey y'all so today my neighbor and i are going to start training my horse to barrel race and we would like some tips on how to get started

Fowl Play 06-21-2013 09:35 AM

My tip would be to avoid the barrels and work on a lot of body control. Isolate the head and neck, shoulders, barrel, and hind quarters. Be able to move each of them independently and do a million lateral flexes. Before you work on the barrels, make sure your horse is light and soft, and responds well to leg pressure. Most of this is done at a stand still, then do it when the horse is walking, then move up the gaits. Then your chances of having a horse that bends around the turns are a lot higher.

rednecklove 06-21-2013 10:39 AM

She is pretty good at responding to leg pressure i just have to do a little tap to get her going it doesnt take much

skipsangelheir 06-21-2013 10:57 AM

I think they mean having your horse yielding hind and forequarters, sidepass and halfpass, ect. Also, have a good stop on your horse. Sorry to ask, but why would you be following instructions from someone who does not know what they are teaching you?
Posted via Mobile Device

rednecklove 06-21-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipsangelheir (Post 2856850)
I think they mean having your horse yielding hind and forequarters, sidepass and halfpass, ect. Also, have a good stop on your horse. Sorry to ask, but why would you be following instructions from someone who does not know what they are teaching you?
Posted via Mobile Device

My neighbor and i are working on it together and if we need extra help ive got the guy who helped training her to help too

Fowl Play 06-21-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednecklove (Post 2856746)
She is pretty good at responding to leg pressure i just have to do a little tap to get her going it doesnt take much

Ideally, you wouldn't have to use anything but a cluck and a little squeeze to go forward. I'm talking about putting your left leg on and having her bend around it, or putting your left leg forward and having her move her shoulders, or back and having her move her hind quarters. That is teaching your horse to move each part of her body independently from the rest.

By flexing I mean that you can get her to bend her head/neck around to your boot softly, without resistance. In a perfect world, the horse will also do this with leg pressure. Our horses will collect from leg pressure, bend right or left, move the hind quarters, forehand, side pass, leg yield, spin, and back from different leg cues. These tools have been instrumental in all disciplines. My daughter's horse is used for reining and barrels, and she sees the barrels 1 time before a race. The rest of the rides (4-5) a week are spent on body control. Of course she's fully patterned, but even when she was in training, she didn't see the barrels until she could lope a perfect circle in a nice bend both directions, knew her flying lead changes, and was in general a good citizen who responded to light aids and had a good stop. Then she was introduced to the pattern...slowly at first. You want her to take each barrel correctly at a walk, then a jog, then a sweet lope before you get her to race speed. SLOW and correct at each step before you add speed.

Best advice, find yourself a trainer or some really good resources, boods, dvds, and someone who knows what to look for as far as correct goes.

Casey02 06-21-2013 04:14 PM

A trainer, learn with a trainer if you can

beau159 06-21-2013 06:06 PM

I recommend you check out the barrel sticky we started on this forum. Drum started it for a resource for newbies (like yourself) and we've all added to it.

http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-rac...drills-116865/

If you have specific question beyond that, feel free to ask.

But the key thing with training a barrel horse is to go SLOW. If you go fast too soon, you'll ruin the horse and possibly sour them. You've got to walk before you can run. It usually takes about 2 years to have a finished barrel horse.

rednecklove 06-21-2013 08:05 PM

Well tonight went very well with her she is catching on fast we are only using one barrel right now my neighbor i found out used to barrel race so she does have the expirence to help.

JustaSkippenJess 06-22-2013 08:12 PM

My biggest tip is to find someone that REALLY knows what they are doing with the barrel pattern. The worst thing you can do is a start a horse on the pattern before they are ready for it and push them too fast too soon, a good way to ruin a nice horse.