The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique this yearlings conformation. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-yearlings-conformation-217626/)

ShadowHussler 06-21-2013 05:43 PM

Critique this yearlings conformation.

Hi all,
I am new to the forums, and was hoping y'all would be able to critique my boy's conformation.

The photo below is him as a yearling, he is now 5. Just wanting to hear what everyone has to say about his yearling phase.

Thanks! :D

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...7-yearling.jpg

toto 06-21-2013 06:02 PM

Welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:

He sure is good looking!

Tryst 06-21-2013 06:48 PM

Very mature looking for a yearling.

First congratulations on having your horse in such fine condition with such a shiny coat! From this photo I would say this horse is a bit upright in the shoulder with a slight ewe neck. Topline is short and strong leading into a very nice croup. The biggest concern to me is his pasterns, which appear long and weak, both front and rear. This horse also appears slightly over and slightly tied in at the knee. He also appears to be a bit straight in the rear, though this photo is not great for assessing his angles in the rear. I would prefer more bone overall.

I would love to see recent photos to see how he grew up.

Cathy

ShadowHussler 06-21-2013 07:09 PM

I know his pasterns are all sorts of messed up- I was waiting on someone to comment on them :P

He didn't exactly grow out of them, but he's never been lame, so that's good!

This photo is when he was at his stud, unfortunately I didn't get him in such good condition, he came off the track and was ditched in a paddock for 3 weeks with no feed. Needless to say.. he was a mess.

We're slowly getting there, though. :)

ShadowHussler 06-23-2013 06:17 PM

Bump? Would love to see what others say :)

Tryst 06-23-2013 10:25 PM

Why don't you get some recent pictures of him for us to look at.

Elana 06-25-2013 08:19 AM

He has a low set neck that is straining to be where it is in the photo (but the photo flatters him and hides this a bit). His shoulder lays back nicely but the point of shoulder is set a bit low and the humerus is a bit flat. This may improve as he grows. He is quite straight through the hind leg.. especially through the hock. His pasterns are very long and weak in front. He has a lovely back and his coupling looks ok.. but he is very well conditioned so a lot of bumps in that area will smooth out. He has good bone and his front knees appear to be correct.

He may improve through the body.. but his neck is still low set and that will not change.

He is a bit fat.. but if this is a photo from a sale, that is how they are conditioned for sale time.

He has lovely care and that is nicely evident.

ShadowHussler 06-30-2013 01:14 AM

Updated photo

Updated pic of Flynn.
He is now a 5yo.
Please excuse the fluffy coat and him being filthy.. it's the middle of winter here and he isn't looking his best- lol.

In this photo (taken a few days ago) he is 6-7 months off the track.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...e-p1040998.jpg

My2Geldings 06-30-2013 06:44 PM

I can give you a critique just based on the single photo you posted. Normally I will only take the time if the poster has front and rear views as well, because with the side profile, it really limits how much we can critique.

I will post my critique tho for you, and I will be using the most up to date picture you added :D

Neck length should be one third of the horses total length. His neck is a little bit to short in proportion to the rest of his body, which will make it a little bit less flexible. You will want a good head and neck length for balance and proportion. The head and neck counterbalance what the hind end is doing. Shorter necks are sometimes also associated with a more upright shoulder. The horse is overall very well proportioned which is nice to see.

The photo does not seem to be level. It looks like the horse is standing downhill, so its hard to tell if he is build downhill or relatively level? I would like to say he is level, but can't tell by that photo.

This horse a fairly steep shoulder, making feel he must have a shorter stride which will affect smoothness. Its also factor in degree of concussion to which his leg bones and joints are subject to. The front legs will be more affected, because the front carries more weight.

The angle of the pastern, and the angle of the foot created a straight line from top to bottom which is what you want to see. I do see something that concerns me however, and its the slope of the pasterns. He has longer pasterns as well which makes them weaker and more prone to breakdown. You dont want to see an angle that is less than 45 degrees which is the case in the hind end.

His stifle is lower set and is level with the elbow in the front legs. A lower stifle goes hand in hand with a medium short gaskin which gives you more power in the hind end.

Can't take a look at the hocks, because pictures were not provided tho from the photos provided, he doesnt seem to have suffered any injuries.

If you provide more photos, we can take a look at a few more things.

Elana 07-01-2013 08:17 AM

I stand by my original critique. No need to repeat it.