The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Advice for a new horse owner: (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/advice-new-horse-owner-21809/)

Moxie 01-31-2009 01:26 AM

Advice for a new horse owner:

If you could pass on any pearls of wisdom to a new horse owner, what would it be? What do's and dont's would you list, and why?

As it is, I just became a new horse owner tonight (another thread to follow tomorrow), and I am feeling ill prepared as way of what to get, how to start bonding with my new mare, and tricks to getting over her issues.

So lets have it!

smrobs 01-31-2009 02:03 AM

Just give her time to get settled in and have your vet on speed dial. Start with rubbing her all over to show that you are not a threat and go from there. Where are pictures??? JK I can't wait to see her though.

PaintHorseMares 01-31-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 242025)
Just give her time to get settled in and have your vet on speed dial. Start with rubbing her all over to show that you are not a threat and go from there.

Agreed.
It takes time, usually months, for even an experienced horse to get settled with a new owner, farm, routine, and/or herd. To lessen her anxiety, the more time you spend with your new horse, especially touching, and showing her around your place the better. Don't expect her mind to be very focused on 'work' for awhile, but doing simple things can help to get their mind off the new environment worries. We always start by walking them in hand around the perimeter so they know the fence and exploring anything that may get their curiosity up (and to show them that there are no monsters at their new place).

Health-wise, try and make sure that any diet changes are done slowly.

And...have fun together.

county 01-31-2009 08:41 AM

Don't be afraid to make mistakes you won't learn a great deal until you do.

Moxie 01-31-2009 09:44 AM

Thanks everyone.

I only have one pic of her, and it's not very good. I am going over this morning and getting better pics.

She will be staying at the farm she currently resides. I get low board and free training there. She hasnt been worked with for years, and needs a lot of interaction and time. I dont even PLAN on hopping on her for a great deal of time yet, as I am a little worried about my weight with her. Even if I spent the time training her, and then resell her, I'd be perfectly happy.

She had her feet done and was a bit crazy about it. Luckily the owner of the farm is a ferrier, so I get that done for free as well.

The two main issues that we need to work on is trust, and feet (I think) at the moment.

Andi 01-31-2009 10:49 AM

My advice would be not to stress over everything. So many people with their first horse freak out at the smallest scratch, or if they don't have every rug in the world on when it rains. Horses are pretty tough animals, while you should have the vets details, don't be to hasty to get one out. I've had horses for eight years and never had a vet out (knock on wood).

Listen to all advice, but don't act on it blindly. Their are lots of very knowledgeable people in the horse world, but just because they are experienced doesn't mean their way is best or even suitable for you and your horse. Remember your horse has feelings, and most of the time they just don't understand, lots of people get impatient, I get impatient, and they want to use whips and ropes in the wrong way and the horse ends up scared. The gentler way takes longer sometimes, but its worth it.

I don't think my advice is great though.

Don't put brushing boots on upside down, wide bits at the bottom, flaps pointing back.

Don't hold the rug up like a sheet and walk to towards the horse when putting it on for the first time.

Tie with the quick release knot.

They are all things I wish people would have told me before I got my first horse so I didn't look like a twit with upside down boots and my horse on the other side of the yard while I stood their holding the rug and looking at my only lead rope, now broken.

sandy2u1 01-31-2009 12:49 PM

I just became a horse owner last year, so I know exactly how you feel. I have found the internet, youtube, rfdtv and especially this forum to be very helpful! If you have any problems or questions, be sure and post them on here.....the people here will always do there best to help you. just last night I posted a thread thinking my horse may have some horrible disease that was causing him to lose his hair and found out it was just shedding hahahaha! Anyway, just take it day by day....you will figure it all out.

PaintHorseMares 01-31-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andi (Post 242146)
My advice would be not to stress over everything. So many people with their first horse freak out at the smallest scratch, or if they don't have every rug in the world on when it rains. Horses are pretty tough animals, while you should have the vets details, don't be to hasty to get one out. I've had horses for eight years and never had a vet out (knock on wood).

Yes! Good advice. Horses are tough, and they are like kids and get scratches, cuts, scrapes, and sprains all the time. Our mares have survived through these things just fine for years without needing a vet with just some antiseptic, neosporin, ice, and TLC.