The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Really skinny cat (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/really-skinny-cat-218138/)

bitinsane 06-22-2013 04:44 PM

Really skinny cat

I have a long haired cat and she has always been very very skinny. You can't tell because she has long fur, but she is just.... skinny. When I pet her I can feel her hip bones, shoulder blades, and spine. She does not act sickly or have worms. My question is, are some cats just really slender? Or is something wrong?

alexischristina 06-22-2013 05:37 PM

Are you SURE she doesn't have worms? As in, you took her in and got her tested for the sort of worms that wont be obvious to you?

bitinsane 06-22-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 2866442)
Are you SURE she doesn't have worms? As in, you took her in and got her tested for the sort of worms that wont be obvious to you?

Last year she was tested after she was treated as a kitten. Wouldn't my other cats have worms as well though? They share everything.

toto 06-22-2013 06:39 PM

the other cats would have to eat the skinny cats poop for them to get his worms.

im thinking maybe he has fiv (cat aids) i would get him a blood test especially if hes a intact tomcat!

cakemom 06-22-2013 07:38 PM

Good suggestions all, the other thing I would have checked out is his thyroid...skinny cats often are thyroid cats.
Posted via Mobile Device

RunSlideStop 06-22-2013 07:47 PM

Definitely could be Thyroid. We have a cat that turned out to have a tumor, but before they found that out they checked his thyroid, as they thought that was the problem.

Chevaux 06-22-2013 08:09 PM

Sounds like the general consensus is a trip to the vet's to get some blood work done. Hope it goes well.

bitinsane 06-23-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2866826)
the other cats would have to eat the skinny cats poop for them to get his worms.

im thinking maybe he has fiv (cat aids) i would get him a blood test especially if hes a intact tomcat!

He's a she lol and none of my cats go outside lol. I've read up on feline aids and I think she would be displaying more signs.

bitinsane 06-23-2013 06:59 AM

Thanks all for the information. I will def. have her checked out!

Cacowgirl 06-23-2013 07:25 AM

I have 3 inside cats-one stuffs her face & is very round, one is med build, does have a "pouch" & the other one -the only boy is slender. They are all fixed & they all do play, but in varying degrees, mostly according to age. Have you had her since she was a kitten? If she's always been skinny, has the vet said anything? Or is this a new development? How is her appetite? Do the other cats let her eat? Do they pick on her?