The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   falling! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/falling-21829/)

MollyK 01-31-2009 03:13 PM

falling!

Hi. I've owned my OTTB for 7 or 8 years. Seven months ago, I moved him to a new (fantastic!) barn and began working with a new (even more fantastic!) trainer. Only one problem. I've started falling off. Only twice, but that's twice more than I have ever fallen off before.

The trainer is working hard to get my horse -- and me -- iin perfect balance. She wants me to sit back lots more ... like a dressage rider vs a hunter/jumper-forward-tilting rider. And that's fine. It's helping get my legs under me better, etc. But in all the years I've been riding, I have never fallen off (I know!) until this month. And this month, I've fallen twice. Nothing dramatic ... the horse spooks, as he does sort of regularly ... but now I tumble right over. I think it's because of my rear-weightedness with my "new" seat.

At my age (late ... ok VERY late 40s), I don't know how many spills I have in me. Any suggestions? Is this common?

jchunterjumper 01-31-2009 03:24 PM

Omg, I laughed so hard when i read this (no effence) The same exact thing happened to me!! I started to ride with a much higher level trainer (hunter/jumper) and it felt like I was falling off ever single lesson in the begining. I believe this was because she was correcting lots of things and my body just wasnt as strong in the new positions that she was putting me in. She mainly corrected my legs and seat, and I just felt not as secure. But as time passed, I got stronger, and now I am back to my old self. You should just recognize that you will get stronger and better as time goes on. Have fun with it and laugh when you fall off. Thats what I did! Once I was so sick of falling off that I ended up flipped upside down on my horses neck hanging on yelling "I AM NOT FALLING OFF!!" It was hilarious. So, have fun, and you will be fine!! :D

english_rider144 01-31-2009 07:46 PM

It has to due with your new position. I've almost fallen off but never have done it. Just let your body and muscles get used to the new position.

xeventer17 01-31-2009 08:00 PM

haha, i've been riding 12 years and i've fallen off so many times it's not even funny. id say at least upwards of 30 times. as the other posts said it's most likely just because youre not as strong in the new positions. give it time and you should be sticking to the saddle again :] lol

MollyK 01-31-2009 08:17 PM

falling

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what to do except just try to pay as close attention as possible for the spooks. I've been riding for 20 years, and just never ever fall off. It hurts too much!

The two falls that I took -- one flat fall from about 6 feet up (he caught me changing my diagonal, so I think I was extra high) onto my back, the other mostly a slide off his hip -- really, really hurt. The good news was that, after the first one, I bought my first new helmet in 15 years (at the tack shop: "Is this helmet even RATED?!?"). I wonder if they sell padded riding pants? Or just a suit of armor?

Regular falling is too dangerous for my old(er) bones. I wonder if I should just do a lot of walk/trot/halt transitions for a week or so, to get used to my new weight balance. Both times I fell, it was only at the trot. So, of course, now I'm all tensed up which makes things even more difficult.

xeventer17 01-31-2009 08:28 PM

I'd say do whatever makes you feel more comfortable, though i've found that i have an easier time staying on a spooking horse if they start spooking from the canter.

falling off can be dangerous for anyone's bones, i broke an arm doing so when i was only 11, so i would also advise you to look into taking calcium pills and things of that sort if you don't already to keep your bones as strong and healthy as possible just in case.

also, i wouldn't be suprised if they do sell padded riding pants xD lol! if you find out they do, please let me know, i might want to get a pair myself. :D

My2Geldings 02-02-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchunterjumper (Post 242274)
Omg, I laughed so hard when i read this (no effence) The same exact thing happened to me!! I started to ride with a much higher level trainer (hunter/jumper) and it felt like I was falling off ever single lesson in the begining. I believe this was because she was correcting lots of things and my body just wasnt as strong in the new positions that she was putting me in. She mainly corrected my legs and seat, and I just felt not as secure. But as time passed, I got stronger, and now I am back to my old self. You should just recognize that you will get stronger and better as time goes on. Have fun with it and laugh when you fall off. Thats what I did! Once I was so sick of falling off that I ended up flipped upside down on my horses neck hanging on yelling "I AM NOT FALLING OFF!!" It was hilarious. So, have fun, and you will be fine!! :D

This reply i think recaps what I wanted to say as a whole.

Until you build a strong seat again and adjust your balance, it's going to be challenging for you (I'm in the same boat after being off for a year). Give it time, more lessons and patience and you will continue to improve and learn more and more about your position, the aids and your horse's movement. Even the best riders have their share of falls :D it's just part of the sport :D secure your helmet, keep smiling and you'll do just fine:-)

kchfuller 02-02-2009 04:54 PM

You guys are great ... as i tell anyone who hasn't fallen before- you are an accident waiting to happen! lol it happens and you might as well get it out of the way .. i have fallen more times then i can remember :) it's part of becoming a better rider! Keep up the good work girl!

QtrHorse 02-03-2009 09:01 AM

I have a sign in my barn that says......"The art of riding is keeping a horse between you and the ground." I can't credit the author, however, at my age of 50, it is my mantra!

I would also agree it is your new position. I switched to a treeless and the different position takes a while to get used to. That's for sure.

happygoose123 02-06-2009 05:18 AM

ive been riding 6 years. for the first 2 years i was getting lessons and didnt fall off once, not even close! it wasnt until i got my first horse banjo that i starting falling off. half the time cause i was carlessly zipping around all over the place (i know, but its fun!!!) and the other half cause he would buck or pigroot.
My guess would be cause you have changed your possition so you just need to get use to it and wait to adjust. in my opinion, there is nothing you can do. you just have to practice and dont give up!