The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Beer for my horses??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/beer-my-horses-218554/)

sheenanaginz 06-23-2013 01:33 PM

Beer for my horses???

Okay so I know this is a really wierd topic. But a couple months ago I was reading an issue of Equus magazine and it was listing different kinds of treats you can give your horse besides the typical apples, carrots, and peppermints. Well at the end of the list it said "beer". And that was all, like no explanation. So my question is will horses actually drink beer? and is it okay for them? Do they get a little tipsy lol :lol:? and do any of you feed it to them? If not do you give your horses anything wierd to drink? Im only 18 so im not really planning on feeding my mare beer. Im just wondering

GracielaGata 06-23-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheenanaginz (Post 2871322)
Okay so I know this is a really wierd topic. But a couple months ago I was reading an issue of Equus magazine and it was listing different kinds of treats you can give your horse besides the typical apples, carrots, and peppermints. Well at the end of the list it said "beer". And that was all, like no explanation. So my question is will horses actually drink beer? and is it okay for them? Do they get a little tipsy lol :lol:? and do any of you feed it to them? If not do you give your horses anything wierd to drink? Im only 18 so im not really planning on feeding my mare beer. Im just wondering

I am no expert, but even before I ever had a horse, the biggest thing I remember were the stories of people giving beer to their horses. It is just fermented grains or hops and whatnot- the same kinds of things they eat.
I know our 2 horses like it. my mare is quite a bit more discerning in brands than my DH's gelding, but DH has even taught his boy to drink out of the can or bottle. Not that either of them ever get more than a few sips every week or so. I am sure that is the amount they meant, not huge, get drunk, amounts. :)

TheatricalAffair 06-23-2013 01:50 PM

Actually, where I work, we give beer to a couple of horses for weight gain. 1 can a day. It actually puts a lot of weight on. :-)

GracielaGata 06-23-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheatricalAffair (Post 2871410)
Actually, where I work, we give beer to a couple of horses for weight gain. 1 can a day. It actually puts a lot of weight on. :-)

Ya know, I bet that works quite well! Think of all the nicely beer-paunched humans out there! :P lol

walkinthewalk 06-24-2013 08:44 AM

I have had horses that love beer and would follow the can holder around the fence until they got a swallow or two --- or three or ultimately the entire can:lol:

I have had horses that can't stand beer but would drink Orange NeHi soda. I'll bet there aren't too many folks under 50 that remember NeHi Soda:-P

texasgal 06-24-2013 08:46 AM

I've never met one that didn't like it.

franknbeans 06-24-2013 08:48 AM

I actually used it back in the day to shed out a horse who was late in shedding in the spring. Told to try it by an old-timer, and it worked! A can a day for a six pack worth!

Muppetgirl 06-24-2013 09:26 AM

What a waste.....:shock:

walkinthewalk 06-24-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2877185)
What a waste.....:shock:

:rofl:aw come on -- give a horse a break:rofl:

MHFoundation Quarters 06-24-2013 09:38 AM

Lol Muppet!

I've yet to meet one that doesn't like it. I share a Guinness or Hornsby every now & again with Woodstock. I drink my half first of course ;)
Posted via Mobile Device