The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Textured vs Pelleted Feeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/textured-vs-pelleted-feeds-218618/)

trackstar 06-23-2013 04:26 PM

Textured vs Pelleted Feeds

I'm planning on changing my yearling's feed to Seminole Wellness Grow Right or Triple Crown Growth Formula. I noticed though that they are both textured feeds. He is on a pelleted feed right now that doesn't offer all of the nutrients a growing horse needs so we are needing to supplement. I always hear negative things about textured feeds but are they beneficial to young horses? Most of the quality feeds I have seen that are targeted towards growing horses are textured.

verona1016 06-24-2013 07:14 PM

A lot of textured feeds are very sugary, which is why I think they have a bad rap.

I'm not familiar with Seminole, but TC Growth is not a high NSC feed, so I think it would be a good choice. I really like TC in general (my horse is on their 30% Supplement)

toosexy4myspotz 06-25-2013 04:53 PM

I started using semonile feeds on some of our horses a few months ago and was not impressed. All of our horses did much better on the all forage diet. I have never used the junior feeds but i do like sweet feeds much better than pellets. I have had better success using an all forage diet than anything though.

jaydee 06-25-2013 05:35 PM

Triple Crown are becoming one of the best companies in recognizing that horses don't need an overload of starch and sugar - even growing horses - so they're a good one to go with.
I like their safe starch range (forage and pellets) that's molasses free but has a good protein and fat content plus a balance of vitamins and minerals
I don't know anything about Seminole but some of these textured feeds are like a solid block of molasses - even if you were competing or working a horse really hard they don't need all of that - sugar is just a quick energy fix and could put your youngster on the slippery road to laminitis and IRS

Joe4d 06-25-2013 07:58 PM

textured feed + free range chickens = no manure to pick up or for flys to breed in.
Wouldnt feed anything else

trackstar 06-25-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 2892938)
textured feed + free range chickens = no manure to pick up or for flys to breed in.
Wouldnt feed anything else

Never thought about that. I might just go get some chickens now lol