The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Wood Eater (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/wood-eater-21862/)

MustangMan08 02-01-2009 07:36 AM

Wood Eater

yes there are a couple horses at the barn that have eat stuff plum off the wall in there stall.This cant be good! What can i do to fix the problem

Peggysue 02-01-2009 07:59 AM

do they ahve hay into them when they are doing it??

Normally free choice hay will solve this problem but not always

iridehorses 02-01-2009 08:09 AM

By stuff, do you mean wood or anything they can reach and get their mouths around?

How often are they worked or at least let out of their stalls? Sometimes it's boredom. Sometimes it's a learned behavior caused by imitating a wood chewer (not to be confused with a cribber which is another awful habit).

It's a really difficult habit to control once it becomes ingrained.

MustangMan08 02-01-2009 08:16 AM

well he chewed his hay pin ohh the wall and 2 boards off his stall. when they stayed in there stalls for a week cause the fence got messed up. now if we leave him in stall over night he chews on all the wood

iridehorses 02-01-2009 08:22 AM

It sounds like it started out of boredom and is becoming a habit. I would coat everything possible with soap, motor oil, cyan pepper, or anything distasteful (but not harmful) for a while and be sure to give him plenty of hay.

Another useful thing is a stall toy. What you need to do is to give him something to occupy himself.

paint gurl 23 02-01-2009 11:09 AM

I think this would be out of boredom, my paint does this on the posts in his pen but it could also be a lack of vitamins and such hence why some horses chew trees? Is he getting everything he needs to cause this or is it boredom?

zanyoutthere 02-01-2009 11:16 AM

i use a cribbing collor, they seem to work vert well;)

Ryle 02-01-2009 12:24 PM

Boredom (or more likely the fact that horses are geared to graze 14+ hours a day) can be a cause, as well as stress at being locked away from pasture mates, lack of forage, gastric ulcers etc.

Unless there is a very good reason to stall this horse, it would be a good idea to just leave him out at night. If he can't be left out at night then a grazing muzzle would be a good idea while he's in the stall to physically prevent him from chewing on things. And be sure to provide plenty of hay while he's stalled---preferrably in several areas in his stall to give him a little stimulation by requiring that he move around and look for it.

MustangMan08 02-01-2009 10:08 PM

yea i reckon it started out of bordem

thanks everyone :) this will help out alot.

bgood400 02-04-2009 02:23 PM

If its cribbing I would reccomend a cribbing strap. I dont know of any non cribbing horses that chew on wood so that might be the problem.