The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Scabby backs of knees on my cob! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/scabby-backs-knees-my-cob-2187/)

vt1 06-10-2007 10:25 AM

Scabby backs of knees on my cob!

Hi there ! im new to the forum and i've noticed a previous discussion on melleners and sallenders ! i have been battling with my cobs scabby knees for 3 years now, having spent a fortune on potions and lotions. Does anyone have a miracle cure? Am about to try an old remedy, washing soda in water for cleansing and then iodine or sulphur applied when dry. Has anyone tried this ?

DesertGal 06-10-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

melleners and sallenders
I have never heard of this? I wonder if we call it something different in the states?

Is it anything like rainrot? If it is, I use betadine wash for two days, then a mixture of 1/3 listerene (original formula,) 1/3 apple cider vinegar, and 1/3 water. I spray it on once a day for 3 to 5 days, and the rainrot is gone. If it starts to come back I use the mixture again. The betadine helps initially with killing the fungus / bacteria, and the listerene really keeps it gone, along with the apple cider vinegar. The water dilutes it.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

vt1 06-14-2007 06:31 PM

Scabby backs of knees on my cob!

Hi jr , Thank you for your reply. Your remedy sounds very interesting! I will give it a try and let you know how we get on.

Mathew 07-17-2007 06:36 PM

hey my horse had the same prob and we were told it was rainscald or rainrot and we were told to wash her lots with anticeptic and in 1 of my books it said to pull the scabs off and in another it said to leave them so ive just been washing her lots and pulling most ofthem off....hope i culd help

Ryle 07-17-2007 09:40 PM

Is this a male horse? Is the scabbing on the back of the front legs? Do you ever get it cleared up or is it constant? Is there any swelling or pitting of the legs?

The first thing to try with any skin condition on the legs is daily cleaning with betadine or chlorhexidine, drying thoroughly (you may have to clip the legs if the horse has feathers, but getting the legs really really dry is important) and then apply a layer of diaper rash ointment.

Usually the factor that allows for skin infections is chronic wetting of the skin---rain, mud, dew, urine splash in male horses, etc. You have to protect the skin from damp conditions to allow it to heal.

Maleficent 07-19-2007 12:07 PM

EQyss products help a lot. There's a fungus shampoo and spray. You first wash the whole body by sponging on diluted solution of fungus shampoo, then wash the point of infection with undiluted shampoo. You follow up with the spray.

My mare had the most sensitive skin of any horse I've ever known - she got a horrible fungus every spring, and this stuff was the only thing that ever worked for her. We tried it all!