The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   No go on Marcel Toulouse...different suggestions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/no-go-marcel-toulouse-different-suggestions-218794/)

howrsegirl123 06-23-2013 10:12 PM

No go on Marcel Toulouse...different suggestions?

I brought home a M. Toulouse Natina the other day to test ride. I rode in it today, and while it is beautiful and seemed like a good fit at the tack store, it did not fit me how I thought it would. The flap was too forward, and even though I have long thighs (I also got it in a long flap) my leg was back way too far from the knee rolls. I felt that it sat me too far back and there was way too much saddle in front of me. It also turns out that I don't like the grippy seat after all, because when I was cantering my butt was so stuck that the seat was rubbing me because I wanted to slide around more but couldn't. It did fit my horse nicely though. So unfortunately, I will have to take it back. Now I'm on the hunt again...I have a Circuit close contact now in a medium tree, 16.5 inch seat. The flaps actually fit my leg but I want to go up a seat size, find a better quality leather, and find a better fit for my horse, possibly an adjustable tree. I bought this saddle 4-5 years ago and I just need an upgrade. It was $650, the cheapest of the Circuit line, so I would not hesitate to look at a better quality Circuit. BUT, I don't want a saddle with such grippiness to it. So, my criteria...long enough flap for long thighs (but not very forward), 17 inch seat, and an adjustable tree would be nice but not necessary, not so grippy. Any suggestions? $1500 or less, new.

howrsegirl123 06-24-2013 12:11 PM

Bumping

caseymyhorserocks 06-25-2013 09:14 PM

Same boat as you with my long legs. I have tried the M Toulouse Premia, wasn't forward enough but super comfy and nice. I just tried the M Toulouse Jennine, and it actually fit my long legs, but there was way to much bulk under my leg for me, and my seat bones were right on a big seam which was uncomfortable... nothing major, I would try it. Dover has them on trial. I really want to try the M Toulouse Marielle, preferably in the 4 cm+ forward flap, but SmartPak seems to be out of stock of it and is expecting more in two months! It seems like all I am trying is M Toulouse saddles, but they are pretty much all I can find that say they have a forward flap on them for under 1400. The HDR Rivella is also supposed to be good for long legs, but I am little iffy on trying that, they have a reputation of not the nicest leather, but I may try it. I will let you know if I find anything that works if you want!

farmpony84 06-25-2013 09:17 PM

The girl that rides my hunt pony is really tall and has really long legs. She rides in a bates caprilli because she was able to get it w/ a longer flap. I have the bates next generation but it's got short flaps.

howrsegirl123 06-25-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 2894202)
The girl that rides my hunt pony is really tall and has really long legs. She rides in a bates caprilli because she was able to get it w/ a longer flap. I have the bates next generation but it's got short flaps.

What's the leather quality of a Bates?
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 06-30-2013 10:18 PM

I tried a Bates Caprilli and thought it was ok. The leather seems fine, probably a little hard to break in (I was in a used one), but I prefer the Stubben and M Toulouse leather. The MT saddles are super soft and scratch easier, and the Stubbens are a little tougher but still really nice. My friend's Bates Hunter Jumper saddle's dye is really rubbing out after a couple years of use, and she takes really good care of it.