The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Horse eating fence posts (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/horse-eating-fence-posts-218945/)

Red Pepper 06-24-2013 02:54 AM

Horse eating fence posts

I have a new mature, OTTB mare who started chewing up the fence posts. So now I'm giving her alfalfa cubes and Horseshoer's Secret, and a salt block, and I'm just wondering if that's enough. She has some sort of issue with eating the treated fence post, and that has to taste nasty. Am I doing all I can do? She is healthy otherwise.

DancingArabian 06-24-2013 09:47 AM

Does she have any hay or grass to eat? If you're only giving her the cubes and supplement then unless you're giving her a LOT of cubes, its not enough.

Alfalfa can also make some horses high strung.

What's her exercise like? She might need to burn off more energy.

You could also get a soap like Orvus and "paint" it on the places she's eating wood. Definitely address the treated wood ASAP - the chems are not ok to eat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 06-24-2013 02:17 PM

make sure its a horse salt block and not a cattle one. Not sure what type of posts you have but I would suspect, mineral shortage, You may want to top dress an elyte on her food. A fiber shortage from not enough hay or grass, a boredom issue, or a behavioral issue like cribbing.

toto 06-24-2013 02:30 PM

Horses need long stem roughage (fiber). If you notice your horse chewing on wood or trees i would up the hay rations untill it stops.

The white salt blocks are for both cattle and horses but the mineral blocks have a difference-- the one with sulfer is for cattle. ;-)

Red Pepper 07-11-2013 02:06 AM

She wasn't being fed properly, so she went hungry for several weeks. I've finally managed to get her fed properly, however, sadly, in the time that took, she has become a serious cribber.

(in further explanation: I board, and she is supposed to be fed twice daily hay and grained each day once... so what I was saying I was feeding her was just supplementary to her normal feed)

Red Pepper 07-15-2013 02:38 AM

I'm happy now, she is being fed well. I finally got up early enough to catch the Hispanic man who feeds every morning and had a talk with him, and he agreed that my 16.1 hand Thoroughbred should have more hay than the 13.2 hand Arabian pony in the next stall. (Although he was throwing the same size flake at both of them).

So, good news, I can stop going out every evening and supplementing her with 6 lbs of alfalfa cubes, and cut my gas costs and my feed costs, and jeez, I might just be able to afford her! :)