The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   Monty Roberts (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/monty-roberts-218985/)

xXRubyXx 06-24-2013 05:06 AM

Monty Roberts

What are your thoughts on Monty Roberts and his training techniques??
He's got to be my favourite horse trainer tbh. :-)

Muppetgirl 06-24-2013 08:34 AM

Honestly - I once thought the man could walk on water until I read that he used a helicopter to chase a band of mustangs for miles through the desert and proceeded to 'join up' with one of them....I'd say you could get any horse to slice cake for you after being chased down through the desert heat with a helicopter. JMHO.
Exhaustion, dehydration and extreme fear will make any horse more compliant.

xXRubyXx 06-24-2013 09:27 AM

Never knew that :Z

Muppetgirl 06-24-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXRubyXx (Post 2877201)
Never knew that :Z

Neither did I until I did some intensive reading........:shock:

xXRubyXx 06-24-2013 09:35 AM

Wb Kelly Marks?? She uses the same techniques but I don't think she was chasing horses from a helicopter but sure how would I know. :/

jaydee 06-24-2013 10:04 AM

Sorry I cant stand the man and have no use for any of these techniques
All horses have a threshold for being bored, exhausted or being defeated when run around a round pen so the 'join up' he uses achieves nothing long term. Its based on the prey/predator approach and not trust and willingness
Someone posted a video on a thread recently of him getting a horse backed in a few hours - that is not the way to train a well grounded horse that's going to remember what its learnt. It would have no clue how to transfer verbal cues to leg/body/hand cues.

FoxyRoxy1507 06-25-2013 04:42 PM

i went to a clinic with him once, he was going to use my horse in a demonstration and he also used my friends horse... i used to think the man was my idol until after that day. Now i wouldnt trust him within 100 ft of any horse. My horse ended up not being used due to a stone bruise, my friends horse who had trailer problems... well he just made them worse. He also tried to get a little mini to be able to be clipped, his way of getting that to happen was to use 4 big guys and a gate and hold the mini up against the gate until it was submissive to the clippers....

Dustbunny 06-25-2013 04:47 PM

Not my cup of tea...

Critter sitter 06-25-2013 04:51 PM

i liked him till i realized he is just selling his "stuff"

Horse racer 06-27-2013 02:18 AM

The trainer I work with said he went to a Monty Roberts clinic and watched the stuff he did with horses that were supposedly untrained and he'd never worked with before and stuff and how he was getting them to do all these things within minutes that they couldn't do before or were afraid to do. After the clinic he talked to his friend who lived in the town the clinic was going on in and he said Monty had been working with the horses he used in the clinic for a week before and he'd watched him work with those same horses he used in the clinic that were supposedly "untrained" and "he'd never worked with before". He said Monty is one of the biggest frauds in the training industry and pretty good at being deceiving. That's what he said....

I don't buy into his techniques, and I've read his books and stuff.