The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Does this horse have worms? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/does-horse-have-worms-21940/)

Equus_girl 02-02-2009 02:08 PM

Does this horse have worms?

Hi everyone! I need some advice on if one of the horses I look after has worms. This mare hasn't been dewormed for a long time and she is losing weight. I can see her ribs and her hips and tail bone are noticable. Her belly looks a bit bloated but she's six months pregnant so that I'm sure is part of it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

LadyDreamer 02-02-2009 02:37 PM

Perhaps a vet check would be best in order to make sure that this mare gets not only what she needs, but what the developing foal needs as well. The vet could provide best wormer, and advice concerning the situation.

Ryle 02-02-2009 03:15 PM

Yep a vet exam would be a good idea.

While it's a pretty good bet that the mare has some parasites if she hasn't been dewormed in a long time but whether she is carrying a high parasite load which is causing problem with her weight or whether it's something else no one on here can tell you. If you give us a bit more information on how she's kept, what exactly (by weight) she eats we might be able to help you determine if maybe her diet is a big part of the weight loss issue. But overall the advice of a trained professional who can see your horse and run some diagnostic tests is going to be the best choice.

Equus_girl 02-02-2009 03:23 PM

Well, she is kept in a field with five other horses and they are eating the grass from last summer that is under the snow. I don't know if that is enough for her though. The other horses seem ok and are not losing weight. So I'm not sure how much she eats since she just eats on the field.

I'll see if the owner can get some wormer for her and check her out. Hopefully she can get a vet out for her.

Ryle 02-02-2009 03:41 PM

Likely for a pregnant horse "just eating last year's grass that's under the snow" is a big part of not keeping weight on.

NewHeart 02-02-2009 05:01 PM

Umm she's pregnant and eating the grass from last summer under the snow? That should be a red flag right there. Is that all she has to eat out in the pasture, or do they get hay as well? If she is in foal, I would make sure to have a vet check her, and perhaps re-evaluate her diet as well. Horses need to have rough forage like hay in the winter to help them maintain body heat as well as weight. If she is in foal, she is going to need double to nutrition, especially in the winter. If you are just looking after her, I would contact the owners right away.

Equus_girl 02-02-2009 05:18 PM

Yes, I'm just looking after her, I'm not hired or anything. I do some things for them when the owner can't but I can't get a vet for her! I emailed her about what is happening and am waiting for a reply so I hope she will do something for her as quick as possible.

My2Geldings 02-03-2009 12:49 PM

Because she is pregnant, I would really consider getting a vet out just to be on the safe side. A lot of things could be causing her weight loss. Why have you not been deworming the horse? You should start now and keep on track of things. There are a lot metabolic disorders as well as conditions that could be the potential cause of her weight loss not mentioning teeth problems, no proper diet available to the horse and or might simply need supplemental food.
Getting a vet out will rule out all those issues and help you provide better care for the mare.
Good Luck.