The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Getting on your knees for a horse to sniff you... Is it okay? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/getting-your-knees-horse-sniff-you-219409/)

pinkbow 06-24-2013 05:45 PM

Getting on your knees for a horse to sniff you... Is it okay?

Is it okay to get down on your knees and let a horse sniff you and ruffle up your hair and just be curious and check you out?

GamingGrrl 06-24-2013 05:50 PM

I don't see why you would do this. They're not dogs, they're livestock. I would never just sit or kneel in front of my horse, it sounds like a good way to get a black eye.
Posted via Mobile Device

QtrBel 06-24-2013 05:54 PM

A couple of my mares would look at that as an invitation to pick you up by the hair of your head and they are big enough to do it too.. Sniff the back of your hand maybe but no not kneeling and allowing them to sniff. Anytime you put yourself in the position of BEING smaller you are perceived as lower on the chain of command. If they perceive you as larger then they respect that even if you aren't. It is all about presence.

Cowgirls Boots 06-24-2013 05:54 PM

125 Attachment(s)
What the heck? Seriously? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Northernstar 06-24-2013 06:00 PM

Hi, and welcome to the forum!! My immediate answer to your question is no. I have a tremendous bond with my horses, and they have a high respect for me, but I would never purposely get down on my knees for even them to sniff/ruffle hair... the reason being, is that they are horses. Horses are prey animals, and even the most docile, loving, tame and well trained horse can become suddenly spooked at something at any given time. They have a millions of years old instinct to do so, and believe me, if I was down on my knees and (even in my quiet, wilderness area) something sudden was to occur, the last place I would want to be is down like that in with an 1,100 Lb frightened horse! That being said.... I do allow them to sniff/ruffle hair slightly, momentarily, and respectively, (while I'm standing and grooming them, etc) but when I give a 'cue' (such as horses would in a herd - me being the 'herd leader') they know when to back up. Hope this helps! :)

Chevaux 06-24-2013 06:03 PM

You didn't say in your post, pinkbow, but are you talking about full size horses or miniature horses? Personally, I don't mind a horse checking me out if it is done in a quiet and respectful way by the horse - that is the horse extends its neck towards me but stands still, it doesn't go grabbing me with its teeth while its sniffing and it backs away from me when I ask it to. The biggest problem I see with you down on your knees is your inability to react in a timely fashion whether it is getting the heck out of the way of a hoof to the head or to take disciplinary action if required.

natisha 06-24-2013 06:04 PM

I wouldn't. It puts every part of your body in the strike zone & being on your knees makes you too slow to move if needed. Plus, I don't like horse slobber in my hair.

Chevaux 06-24-2013 06:06 PM

Ahh, Northernstar, I see our thoughts are quite similar on this topic.

pinkbow 06-24-2013 06:06 PM

I was asking for the sake of someone else who thinks its okay -_-

Chevaux 06-24-2013 06:08 PM

No problem - print off our responses for show and tell. Welcome to the forum, by the way.