The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bit Ideas (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bit-ideas-219433/)

rlr21791 06-24-2013 06:42 PM

Bit Ideas

I have been riding my mare in a full cheek dr. bristol with a slow twist. I do not use the bit keepers. My mare does WONDERFULLY with this bit, and seems to really respond to my very light hands. I was looking to get her some new western gear and don't really want to ride western in my english bridle and a full cheek bit. I'd like any ideas of bits that I could try that would be close to what I already use. She DOES NOT like thick mouth pieces at all.

this is the bit
File:Fullcheckwithtwistsnafflealpha.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SorrelHorse 06-24-2013 06:48 PM

Why can't you ride western in that bit?

Are you showing?

I very rarely see a slow twist in a western bridle but here are some snaffles that she might go for, neither particularly harsh.

Twisted dogbone:

REINSMAN EQUESTRIAN PRODUCTS - Reinsman Offset Dee 3/8 Twisted Dogbone Snaffle Horse Bit - NRSworld.com

I like this bit a lot, and this is one of my favorite all time mouthpieces.

703 Loose Lifesaver Snaffle, Sharon Camarillo :: Barrel Racing Bits :: Barrel Racing Tack :: Sharon Camarillo's Barrel Racing Superstore

rlr21791 06-24-2013 06:56 PM

I am not showing, just seems like it would be frowned upon for using a full cheek on a western headstall. I don't know which part of her bit she likes, which is sort of my issue. She did good in my barrel mares gag bit, and she does good in this bit. However I've tried a double jointed snaffle and she HATED it. I'm not sure if it's the pressure along the side of her mouth or the part against her tongue. She has a very soft mouth until she runs, then she seems to forget everything and a plain snaffle doesn't seem to be enough.
I suppose I don't know much about bits. But I think I may try that barrel racing bit. (I would like to have two different bits so that I don't have to switch them out constantly!)

SorrelHorse 06-24-2013 07:03 PM

Ah, well it's not frowned upon, but being the bit addict I am I will definitely enable you buying that bit...LOL. If I had any money I would buy a good five more, "just in case"! As well as many other bits from Sharon Camarillo....Hmmm. :lol: