The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   things you have done on the flat ... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/things-you-have-done-flat-21954/)

kchfuller 02-02-2009 04:49 PM

things you have done on the flat ...

Anyone have any fun/useful exercises on the flat that i can use with my students? I want to keep their lessons fresh and have new things to add in ... things like sitting on the short side and posting on the long side or sit 10, post 10 ect ...

thanks!

StormyBlues 02-02-2009 05:23 PM

Well, my trainer has us drop our inside sturrip and that really helps with balence and making your inside leg a post in which the horse can bend around. Also this week she had us do all sitting trot like that and then raise our indie hand up(like in school) and have the horse transistion from trot to canter and vise virsa with only one hand on the reins and sometimes with just one sturrip. I took it really far yesterday and cantered no stirrups no reins!:wink: Fun times. Also benind exersices are always funn!

jchunterjumper 02-02-2009 06:00 PM

I have the best excersize. It is kinda confussing, but I hope that I make sence. Ok, you start by going down one long side, when you get to the corner of the first short side, do a half circle in reverse. Now you are going the other direction back down the same long side. Now when you get to the middle of the long side, do a circle. Then when you get to the first corner of the short side, do a half turn in reverse. Go back down the same long side, and do a circle in the middle of it. Come back on the wall and continue going down the long side. So pretty much you are only using one long side, and you are getting your students to soften their horses by turning the same direction (like in the circle) and changing directions while bending (half turn in reverse). I really hope that that makes sence, it is a great excersize and works really well and is challenging. You can do it in the canter. OH! My favorite thing to do is to canter on the correct lead down the long side, do a half turn in reverse in the corner, and ask for a lead change. Once you get to the middle of the long side to do the circle, ask for another lead change and counter canter the circle, once you are done with the circle, ask for the lead change and canter down. I really hope that this isnt confussing, you can just tell me, and maybe I can explain it better, and believe me, it is worth it!

StormyBlues 02-02-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchunterjumper (Post 243748)
I have the best excersize. It is kinda confussing, but I hope that I make sence. Ok, you start by going down one long side, when you get to the corner of the first short side, do a half circle in reverse. Now you are going the other direction back down the same long side. Now when you get to the middle of the long side, do a circle. Then when you get to the first corner of the short side, do a half turn in reverse. Go back down the same long side, and do a circle in the middle of it. Come back on the wall and continue going down the long side. So pretty much you are only using one long side, and you are getting your students to soften their horses by turning the same direction (like in the circle) and changing directions while bending (half turn in reverse). I really hope that that makes sence, it is a great excersize and works really well and is challenging. You can do it in the canter. OH! My favorite thing to do is to canter on the correct lead down the long side, do a half turn in reverse in the corner, and ask for a lead change. Once you get to the middle of the long side to do the circle, ask for another lead change and counter canter the circle, once you are done with the circle, ask for the lead change and canter down. I really hope that this isnt confussing, you can just tell me, and maybe I can explain it better, and believe me, it is worth it!

Maybe you could video yourself doing it?

jchunterjumper 02-02-2009 07:56 PM

Umm, sending a video would mean that i would have to be able to use a computer. Yes I am 18 years old and cannot really use a computer. Maybe I can try and figure it out tomorow, but dont count on it! If you have problems, maybe draw it on a piece of paper, it kinda looks like a bow tie,.. but not really, like a half of a bow tie. I will try a video tomorow.

StormyBlues 02-02-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchunterjumper (Post 243835)
Umm, sending a video would mean that i would have to be able to use a computer. Yes I am 18 years old and cannot really use a computer. Maybe I can try and figure it out tomorow, but dont count on it! If you have problems, maybe draw it on a piece of paper, it kinda looks like a bow tie,.. but not really, like a half of a bow tie. I will try a video tomorow.

Ok thanks!

kchfuller 02-02-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchunterjumper (Post 243748)

I am pretty sure i get it, thanks! Ill prob tweak it some but that is a great idea! Keep em coming guys you are wonderful!

Equuestriaan 02-03-2009 07:50 AM

Well you could do things like follow the leader, where you would have one student lead the others around in patterns and let the choose when to do transitions and things. You could play red light green light, too. That's where you stand at one end of the ring with your back to your students, who are lined up at the other end. When you say green light, they all try to get to the other end of the ring, but when you say red light they have to halt. After you say red light you turn around and if anybody is still moving they have to go back to the start.

If everyone's on fairly steady horses, you could have them play tag with a stick or short crop or something.

horsegirl123 02-03-2009 03:17 PM

A really fun thing that my instructor had me once do was this: There were four people on four VERY different horses. We were all stetched out and warmed up at the walk and my instructor said "make sure you are all ready because you never know what I am going to say" So she had us go right up to the canter after our warm up and then we did some trot work after that. Next, she said "you have one minute to hop off and mount another horse" We then did some trot, walk, and cantering again, and then switched horses, again. Once we got to our fourth different horse, we stayed on that horse for the last 20 min. of the lesson and did some jumping! It was a LOT of fun!!

Pekoe 02-13-2009 09:24 PM

I know this is a little old but I thought I'd add a few things. My instructor comes up with some really great exercises for us to do so I thought I'd share!

1. Make a four leafed clover in the ring with circles.
2. Hold your drop in your hands horizontally in front of you with the reins - helps keep your hands still.
3. Make your students say what they are doing as they go around the ring. Then, get them to choose 3 that they think are the most effective and useful and get them to say them repeatedly over and over, creating a good rythm that goes with the gait. Each time they say it, they should use that aid (or not use it, depending on the situation.) It helps the rider establish what's working and what isn't, and the horse usually starts listening better by the end with the consistency. Also, point out that if they are ever training somebody else's horse, the person will want to know what they're doing and that will help.
5. Make them stand up in the saddle. It will drop their weight into their heels and really improve any wiggly legs!
6. Forbid students to go on the track for warm-up, so they are forced to be creative in terms of circles, changes of rein etc.
7. Get the students to put their hands on their heads - first one, and then the other. Maybe both.

Hope those are helpful! Good luck.