The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   arena location, thoughts (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/arena-location-thoughts-21966/)

HayburnerHeights 02-02-2009 09:20 PM

arena location, thoughts

I have a delima,

I have 2 different spots I can have a outdoor ring set up. One spot is near the barn, solid clay. Size would be roughly 50 x 75 feet, Pretty open area. I set up a ring years ago there, then moved it to spot mentioned below

the current spot is a little softer ground, ring is 60 x 110 feet, Problem is its right next door to our neighbors property and there is a hedge row about 10 feet from the side of my ring. The neighbors dogs constantly go through the hedgerow and spook my horses when we are trying to ride (hedge row is about 10 ft wide, consists of trees, long grass & brushey undergrowth). One of their dog houses is right on the other side of the hedgerow also, so the one dog can still raise heck without leaving their yard (one is tied, the other dog runs loose)

I would almost rather move it up toward the barn, but am concerned that the ring won't be large enough for two us to ride comfortably.

thoughts?

sandy2u1 02-02-2009 09:28 PM

I would be concerned about the dogs too. Not just the spooking...but are they gonna be barking the whole time you are riding? if so...that would be so annoying

HayburnerHeights 02-02-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy2u1 (Post 243911)
I would be concerned about the dogs too. Not just the spooking...but are they gonna be barking the whole time you are riding? if so...that would be so annoying

They usually stop after a bit, I've chased them back over the hedgerow a few times with the lunge whip. They are just a pain in the rear end. :-(

rosie9r 02-02-2009 10:27 PM

Can you talk to your neighbors about moving their dogs farther from the hedge? Or put up a privacy fence on that side?

I would like a bigger arena personally, so you dont feel cramped or wont be able to really work your horse. (just like you can only do so much in a round pen.)

Miss Katie 02-02-2009 10:54 PM

I would tell your neighbour that you are having issues with their dogs venturing onto your land, and ask them to either tie both dogs or put up a fence. It is your land after all.
As for the barking, if it is excessive is there someone to report it to?? Otherwise, if they stop after a while I dont see it as being a problem. Its just something the horse has to get used to.

xilikeggs0 02-02-2009 11:50 PM

Either call animal control when the dogs come onto your property, or put up a fence.

appylover31803 02-03-2009 12:02 AM

I would suggest going over and talking to your neighbors. Say that not only is it dangerous for you and the horses, but to the dog too.
If they don't seem to care, see if you can put up a fence in that location.

I would rather have more room to ride, then less, though I dont know if I would always want to deal with the dogs everytime I ride

~*~anebel~*~ 02-03-2009 12:59 AM

Put up a fence and the next time the dogs come running through, boy are they and their little heads getting a surprise! Ir even one strand of electric will have the dogs thinking again about running through to your property. I also like the animal control idea. Be rude about it. I would not put up with neighbor's dogs on my property, regardless of where my horses and riding arena were.
I would opt for the larger space. And if possible I would actually put in a base, pack it and get some footing on there. It's a bunch better for the horses.

HayburnerHeights 02-03-2009 05:40 AM

our stupid little dog barks alot too, Its not the barking that spooks the horses and they do stop. Its the hedgerow wandering by the Jack Russell Terrier and occasional trip by the bigger dog. The horse think its a lion coming through there.

They are pretty good neighbors overall. They are just "old school" type people and are retired from the working world (a long time ago) Everyone just stays pretty much to themselves around here. They really don't have a lot of room where they are as far as their yard goes.(its just a small lot) Its just the way their house & lot are designed it means their main back yard is right next to my ring. I thought about talking to them but I can just see their dog darting out under their feet anyways. They are older folks and not as quick as they used to be

Thats why I was kind of leaning towards moving the ring.

Miss Katie 02-03-2009 08:59 AM

I think a fence would fix the problem, and they seem reasonable so maybe ask if they will split the cost with you.
They sound like they dont mean you no harm, just dont know any better. Im sure if you talked to them everything will work out the best for both of you.