The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hooves chipping when riding over stones (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hooves-chipping-when-riding-over-stones-219834/)

sheenanaginz 06-25-2013 10:33 AM

Hooves chipping when riding over stones

I ride my mare through streams alot, always letting her walk over the stoney parts. But recently her hooves have been chipping around the edges. There was even a dent in her right hind. She has two front shoes, and it was only her back hooves that were chipping until yesterday when one of her front hooves chipped. One of the nails on her shoe is now exposed. My mare is hyper so she tries to trot in the stream, but im so worried it will damage her hooves. Any suggestions?

princessfluffybritches 06-27-2013 05:59 PM

Hi. You may want your farrier to check for white line separation under those shoes. It would be normal for the back feet to chip up and eventually that stops . (self trimming)

You may want to add a hoof supplement to her diet. Sounds like a nice ride having a stream to go through.

sheenanaginz 06-28-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches (Post 2911690)
Hi. You may want your farrier to check for white line separation under those shoes. It would be normal for the back feet to chip up and eventually that stops . (self trimming)

You may want to add a hoof supplement to her diet. Sounds like a nice ride having a stream to go through.

Okay the farrier is coming out on the 4th so I'll talk to him about it. Thank you. And yes it is nice having a stream right behind the barn to ride in all the time :D

Blue Smoke 06-28-2013 02:13 PM

How long between trims/shoeing? It may be a matter of shortening up trim/shoe schedule. My horses are on a 4-5 week cycle in the summer and able to go a bit longer, around 6 weeks in the winter, but any longer than that and they start to have issues arrise such as chipping. If there are issues, even 2-3 week tweaks between are needed. For a lot of horses the traditional 8 week cycle is just too long to go.

totalfreedom 07-01-2013 05:08 PM

The short answer to get hoof walls to stop chipping in the majority of cases is to keep a mustang roll on the hoof. And maintain this roll consistently. I check hooves before every ride with rasp in hand looking for areas that could use attention.

The long answer is to learn barefoot trimming and elpo hoof mapping. :-)

edit:

I see that you were saying that the front was chipping under the shoe...... I don't know what would need to be done in this situation. But on the unshod hinds.....keep the walls rolled. ;-)