The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Lead change! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/lead-change-21994/)

Hillviewfarm 02-03-2009 04:43 PM

Lead change!

My horse Zorro and I were practicing last night (working on critques from my last post on here:-)) and then we worked on lead changes. Zorro will change from left track to right track with no problem-Autos. But when it comes to right track to left track..NOTHING. Im starting to get upset in lessons cause I cant get a change. Does any one have tips for my problem? Any ways to start from basics on lead changes? ANYTHING lol
Thank you!
stephanieee

cowgirlfitzy 02-03-2009 04:56 PM

Do you have good hip control with him?

cowgirlfitzy 02-03-2009 04:57 PM

Have you tried counter cantering him then asking for the change?

Hillviewfarm 02-03-2009 05:12 PM

What do you mean by hip control? Moving him with my leg?

And no I have never tried that. I tried doing simple lead changes hoping maybe he will catch on. (?)

cowgirlfitzy 02-03-2009 08:04 PM

Yea if you can push his hip over that will help/make him pick up that lead.

If you do the counter canter thing, getting the correct lead will be a reward because its easier.

Doing a lot of simple changes will help too.

I hope that was helpful. Don't get frustrated and Good luck!

Equuestriaan 02-04-2009 08:19 AM

Place a pole diagonal in the center of the ring in the way you want to change. Start out with a trot. Let's say you're working on changing from left lead to right lead. Trot towards the pole and exaggerate bending him left. When he steps over the pole, exaggerate his bend to the right but make sure he's still going straight. Once you do this a couple times, come around again but this time switch your bend and then ask for a canter as you go over the pole. Do this a few times. Then you can try cantering it... exaggerate left bend on the left lead, then when you reach the pole, switch your bend and add your left leg behind the girth as if you were asking for the canter from the trot.

Depending on how quickly he learns, after a few workouts he should be able to witch his lead in the center both directions with no trotting and no pole!

Ne0n Zero 02-04-2009 11:18 AM

I'd like to see anebel's response to this. She usually has well-informed posts about this sort of thing.

bgood400 02-04-2009 02:45 PM

I like what cowgirlfitzy has said. I would practice moving your horses hip off of your leg. When I am schooling and ask my horse for a change from the right to the left leads I lift my right rein to keep his shoulder up and move him off of my left leg and then release the pressure with my rein and leg while applying pressure with the right leg. It may also be helpful to two-track your horse at the canter, either at the counter canter or on the correct lead. Doing this will really get your horse responding to your legs and moving away from them. Counter cantering is really good and it helps build up there muscles which will make the changes easier for them. Counter cantering also helps put the horses body in the correct position. If there is a direction that your horses favors the canter I would work more on the other lead to help build it up, this should also help.

cowgirlfitzy 02-04-2009 03:26 PM

Thanks Bgood That sounded alot better then how I said it!

Spyder 02-04-2009 06:02 PM

I looked at your videos and could not see where you had any trouble changing on either side.