The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Draft Horses (
-   -   Royal Highland Show - Heavy Horses (

DarenC1 06-25-2013 02:04 PM

Royal Highland Show - Heavy Horses
Well, last weekend was the Royal Highland Show here near Edinburgh, which sees a good number of heavy horses on display each year. Here's a few of them!

Clydesdale six-horse hitch

Baron - ex-ILPH and now the pride of the Glasgow City Council herd. He's won loads of stuff!

One of the Canadian-bred Belgians. This was one of the smaller ones. At 19hh!!

And bigger still...!

"You're gonna need a bigger box!"

One of Tom Tennant's horses - and another big one!

Sleepy baby

Floppy lips

And the best thing about the show - Clydesdale cuddles! :D

Dreamcatcher Arabians 06-25-2013 02:16 PM

Love those great huge beasties! What size are the show stalls? Here they're frequently only 10 ft X 10 ft, I can't imagine one of those big guys staying in one of those.

DarenC1 06-25-2013 02:48 PM

No, the stalls aren't huge, really, but no idea of their true size.

zombiesrkewl 06-25-2013 02:58 PM

Those horses are so cute! I've always wanted to own a draft horse (especially Belgians. I've never seen a Belgian I didn't want to hug), but we don't have enough room/money to keep one. :P Ah well, maybe one day. Great pictures, though!

Dreamcatcher Arabians 06-25-2013 03:00 PM

I wanted a Draft until I figured out how much it would cost to feed ONE. And cleaning up after one.......LOL!

deserthorsewoman 06-25-2013 03:52 PM

Hubby wants one ....bad....he's 6'6" it would be right for him....but I threatened....I won't clean up after one we're draft- less.......;-)

jaydee 06-25-2013 04:23 PM

Thanks for posting daren - I like to get my fix of the UK show scenes. I was looking at some pics from the Three Counties Malvern show earlier this week
Makes me so homesick though!!!

faye 06-25-2013 04:29 PM

Temporary show stables tend to come in 2 sizes over here. 10x10 and 12x12. Given that those are fairly posh temporary stables (dont look like ones where you go in before with a hammer to remove sticking out nails from the walls etc) an being used for rather large horses i'd say they were the 12x12 ones.