The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Rain woes :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/rain-woes-220250/)

littrella 06-25-2013 07:37 PM

Rain woes :(

Last year we were begging for rain. This year, it wont stop! Many people lost their first cutting of hay because it wouldn't quit raining! Yesterday we only had a 20% chance & we ended up with 2 inches. It rained again this morning. Now, it's too hot & humid & muddy to go out & do any training. GRRRRR :cry:

toto 06-25-2013 08:02 PM

Ruined our kentucky blue grass - lespedeza- orchard mix and a few other hay fields-- its sneaking rain! Ten % chance of rain now we have 250+ bails of ruined hay. :-( again!!

Youre not the only one upset!

caseymyhorserocks 06-25-2013 11:34 PM

Nothing out of the normal rain-wise here! Had some "extreme" heat up to 68 in spring, but nothing else. Can't grow any hay here, rain kills it. Just have to suck it up and buy $24 hay bales weighing 100# that are imported 100 miles... at least the pasture is good!

boots 06-25-2013 11:42 PM

We've had a lot here. And like littrella we had bad drought last year. It is delaying the first cutting here and in S. Dakota, too. I don't see prices dropping dramatically, but CMHR -- I can't imagine paying that much for hay!

I just can't cuss it yet, though. 8, 9, and 10 years ago, I was feeding hay year round and hauling water for about 325 pair of cattle. That was not fun.

Phly 06-25-2013 11:47 PM

Been raining here too. I wouldn't say it's raining too much or that its a bad thing.
But it rains HARD we get inches of rain in hours. Which handily turns my driveway into the grand canon. And I'm sure has caused other erosion issues for others.
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 06-25-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots (Post 2895882)
CMHR -- I can't imagine paying that much for hay!

It is insane. It is really nice hay, but holy $$$... I try to get as much as I can when I go to Sacramento or to Oregon for horse things, but I cant get it imported really as I can only store one ton in my barn, and it cant sit out for 10 of 12 months without it molding. I scoff whenever I hear people on here talking about how their hay has risen from $5 to $8. This hay has only raised $3 in 8 years, so fairly steady price....

toto 06-25-2013 11:55 PM

Youre really gonna scoff when i tell ya they sold 250+ bales of good quality orchard lespedeza hay for fifty cents a bale because it got a little sprinkled on. :shock:

smrobs 06-26-2013 12:08 AM

We've had similar issues here. We had a lot of rain while everyone was doing their first cutting so a lot of it got rained on...and now we can't seem to buy a decent night of rain (we get a sprinkle here and there, usually less than .1 of an inch :?). So, the first cutting isn't any good for horses...and the second cutting is still a long ways off because nothing's growing due to lack of rain.

I honestly couldn't tell you how much our hay runs per bale as we buy by the ton. Last load I bought was about $200 a ton for decent/good quality grass. Alfalfa can't be found for less than $500 a ton. When you're feeding 3+ tons a month, that's hard to swallow.