The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Keeping steer OUT of his trough?! (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/keeping-steer-out-his-trough-220266/)

Endiku 06-25-2013 07:57 PM

Keeping steer OUT of his trough?!

We have a steer calf, 8-9 months old, I forget exactly how old he is. He's a real sweetheart, VERY friendly and fun to be around, but he's annoying the crud out of me. He's currently in a pen with another, smaller calf, a donkey, and two pony geldings. They share a large water tub, I'm not sure exactly how much it holds but I'd guess it is 50 gal. I go out to re-fill it twice a day.

For the past few weeks I've been noticing that their water has been DISGUSTING lately, and I'm having to dump and scrub it every day. I actually need to do it twice a day, but just don't have time and it makes a ton of mud to dump it again. Today I found out why its so gross. Jovi (the steer calf) is standing in his water tub, all four feet in, taking naps >.>

That would be all well and fine if he didn't make his (and the other animal's) water turn from clear at 6 am to muddy, manure filled (he poops in it too) slime by 9 am! I'm at a loss on how to stop him though. I realize it is HOT out and I've tried spraying him with a water hose which he loves, but then he's right back in there. Any ideas?

toto 06-25-2013 08:13 PM

Thats what cattle does when its hot out-- if you see them in a big pasture with a pond theyll all be layed up in the pond or standing in it- its cool and feels nice on a hot day-- you could get him a small pool to stand in or maybe another trought.

Skyseternalangel 06-25-2013 08:18 PM

Maybe he needs a hard plastic kiddy pool that you could fill with water so he can nap in there? I think he just is hot.

Endiku 06-25-2013 08:18 PM

We actually have a small kiddie pool we used to use for our ducks. Maybe I could drag that over and fill it for him if BO is ok with it. He'll probably break it though, he's rather clutzy and its a cheapo from walmart. I feel bad for being mad at him for being in the water, but I also feel bad for making the other animals drink out of a trough that is so gross >.> I have a feeling he'll still stand in that trough though, even if he has a pool too.

Would some old rubber stall mats around and under the tub help by getting some of the dirt off of his hooves before he steps in?

I can't say I blame him for wanting to be in the water though. The heat index today was 111 degrees. His pen is shaded by trees, but its still hot.

toto 06-25-2013 08:22 PM

Rubber mats-- Not unless theres some kind of bristles attached to it to brush his hooves off- it wont make a difference.